Recently, I have encountered numerous blogs discussing the dietary choices of ultra-runners who have adopted a vegan lifestyle. As a self-proclaimed meat enthusiast, I am curious about the potential benefits of this dietary approach. While I identify as a white male, my culinary preferences predominantly revolve around barbecue ribs, chicken, cornbread, and watermelon, complemented by root beer.
However, through some reading, I have become receptive to the concept of vegan burgers. The flavor and taste of certain vegan burgers surpass those of traditional burgers. Nevertheless, I recently conducted a nutritional comparison and discovered that some vegan burgers offer minimal dietary advantages compared to 97/3 beef patties.
The current market landscape presents a wide array of brands and flavors, which can be overwhelming. I have identified three brands available at Target and Cub. Some of these burgers are made with soy, while others are made with grains. I have also encountered information about veggie burgers that are solely composed of vegetables, such as those produced by Sunshine. Although I have not yet had the opportunity to experience this brand, I am aware of its existence.
Given the diverse range of options available, it is essential to consider the specific nutritional requirements when selecting a vegan burger. To facilitate this, I recommend consulting a breakdown of the dietary components, such as calories, sodium, carbohydrates, and protein, to determine which option best aligns with your nutritional needs.
This may not be easy to follow, but here is the nutrition information for a variety of burger options using a 2.5-oz patty (Commonly Used for a Veggie burger). 97/3 beef has 88 calories, 3 G fat (1 Saturated), zero Sodium, zero carbs, zero fiber, and 15g protein.
Veggie burger comparisons were broad – Boca original seemed the best and less expensive than beef.
- Boca Original has 70 calories, 0.5 G fat (0 Saturated), 280 mg Sodium, 6 g carbs, 4 g fiber, and 13g protein.
- Boca Grilled Vegi has 80 calories, 1 G fat (0 Saturated), 300 mg Sodium, 7 g carbs, 4 g fiber and 12g protein.
- Boca All American has 90 calories, 3 G fat (0.5 g Saturated), 280mg Sodium, 4 g carbohydrates, 4.5 g fiber, and 14 g protein.
- Gardenburger Garden Original has 100 calories, 1 G fat (0 Saturated), 230mg Sodium, 12 g carbs, 3 g fiber and 10 g protein.
- Gardenburger Original has 100 calories, 3.5 Grams of fat (0.5 grams Saturated), 420 mg of Sodium, 14 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein.
- Morningstar Classic has 120 calories, 4 G fat (0.5 g Saturated), 260mg Sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, and 11 g protein.
In my opinion, the Boca Original is a superior choice due to its balanced flavor profile, approximately 30% less expensive compared to other options, and comparable nutritional value to beef patties. Furthermore, a properly seasoned 97/3 beef patty presents a more favorable calorie-to-fat ratio than some alternatives, albeit still containing 3 grams of fat.
As an alternative, I utilize a juicer to prepare a morning beverage by blending 12 ounces of various fruits and vegetables, including carrots, apples, blueberries, ginger, kiwi, and green pepper. Tonight, I incorporated 4 ounces of dry pulp into a mixture of 2.5 ounces of 97/3 burger. The result was exceptionally satisfying. I intend to explore further variations, such as adding 1.5 ounces of burger and egg whites to the blend.
Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this topic or suggestions?
P.S.: This week, I have experienced some discomfort in my knee. Despite this, I have managed to walk 12 miles and cycle 3.5 miles. However, the pain persists.
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
If I don't get them I get the Boca that are available only at Sams club- they are alot bigger and alot better than any other available anywhere else. I am not fond of veggie burgers that taste like beans.
Don't forget the cholesterol advantage. None of the veggie burgers have cholesterol, and they should have good fiber, which beef doesn't have. I was a veggie burger fan way back from Weight Watchers when they were a very good points value.
No comments:
Post a Comment