Friday, August 28, 2009

What is a blog and why blog?

A friend reached out to me about a question and wanted to check in since there hasn’t been any news. I’ll share my thoughts on why I started a blog, but let’s start with a quick summary first.


So, I recently got an MRI, and it turns out I tore my rotator cuff, specifically the long head of my bicep. Now, I’m trying to figure out what to do next. Some people say surgery didn’t work for them, while others say it helped, but they never felt the same. Others recommend physical therapy as the first step. Well, I’ve been doing physical therapy for 7 weeks now, and I still have some pain, but it’s not as bad as it used to be. I can even ride a bike with a small backpack now!


I’m leaning towards physical therapy, but I’ll see what happens. In the meantime, I’m still walking, but it hurts a bit after I've gone a few miles. I’m grateful that I can still bike, though, because that’s helped me stop gaining weight. However, I’m not losing any weight either, which is somewhat frustrating. I’m 35 pounds heavier than when I tried the first ST 100 in 2007. Ouch!


So, let’s get back to what I was talking about. What exactly is a blog, and what’s its purpose? Well, it’s basically a personal journal where people share their lives and interests. Some folks use it to document their journey to run a marathon, others to fight cancer, and some to lose weight. But guess what? I’ve discovered that it’s also a fantastic way to connect with friends.


Take my friend Steve Quick, for instance. He’s taken on this incredible Superman task and had to quit a race after already pushing past my wildest expectations. And now, he’s even thinking about quitting his blog.


Then there’s Julie Berg. Many of us think we know her as a friend, but I’ve actually spoken to her fewer than 100 words in my entire life. But she’s a great friend, and I love how she shares so much of her “life” with us. It makes her feel real.


And let’s not forget Diane Farmer. She’s been open about her ups and downs, from house changes to job changes, and even her experiences as a renter. Her blog gives me a real-life feel, even though we haven’t spent much time together. Now, I miss her posts. I was really excited about one she recently wrote, but it turned out to be a malicious attack on her blog (or maybe her email). Diane, we miss our friend.


Hey everyone! So, I’ve been noticing that my friends Wayne, Helen, Beth, Karen, Mike, Keith, Matt, Mark, Kel, and Steve G have been sharing more about themselves lately. They’ve been posting pictures, sharing their thoughts on motorcycles, jobs, and running, as well as their deepest sorrows and fears. It’s been really heartwarming to learn more about them and feel like I know them better.


Wayne has been sharing his adventures on his motorcycle and his job locations, and Helen has been telling me all about her trips to her homeland. Beth has been juggling life and family with incredible grace, and Karen has been sharing her struggles and triumphs. Mike has been bringing back memories of the 80s, and Keith has been sharing his best promotional moments and other amusing anecdotes. Matt’s been sharing his struggles with job challenges and his love for beer. Mark’s been sharing his training struggles, Garmin issues, and other challenges, but he’s always managed to stay positive and keep going. Carl’s been sharing his journey as a cancer survivor, father, and husband. Don’s always made me hungry with his mouthwatering posts, and I love the 100 things he shares about himself. Kel’s been sharing her ups and downs, and she loves the research tests she completed. Steve G, whom I often add to my prayers for, has been through a lot, but he’s always up and smiling, persevering through everything.


There are so many other amazing friends I could mention, but I’m afraid I’ve gone on too long. Sorry if I missed anyone, but I wanted to share this with all of you. Let’s take a moment to appreciate the incredible people in our lives and all the fantastic things they do.


Reading the blogs of real people like myself helps me understand that we all face challenges, but we persevere in pursuing our passions. It’s something many people crave, and many great friends I call. When a friend disappears, it leaves a void. For instance, when Adam limited his posts, I felt like I had lost a friend. Steve Quick’s blog has really broadened my horizons (on interesting topics) with his vast knowledge of non-mainstream facts… Steve, please don’t give up. You’re a friend to so many!


What is the purpose of a blog anyway? 


Clarity regarding the definition and purpose of a blog remains a challenge both online and offline. Despite numerous explanations and descriptions of its existence, many individuals still require a deeper understanding of its purpose and nature. A reference suggests that over 60 million blogs are updated at least once a week.


A definition of a blog is as follows: “A blog is a personal website that serves as an online log, containing the publication of content organized chronologically. The most recent entry (the newest post) is typically positioned at the top of the page. Individual entries (logs) are usually dated and time-stamped, and an archive of all preceding posts, including the most recent post, is generated at the top of the page. This archive is usually located in the sidebar, but it can also be found at the bottom of the site or via a link in the top navigation bar. Older entries are archived by month and year or by week and year, and each entry (post) is associated with a static webpage address (URL address).”


Blogs are an excellent way for readers to connect with the people who create them. The author can write about anything they want, in any style they like. Blogs come in a wide range of categories, from personal experiences to professional advice. The content on blogs can be really diverse, and there’s something for everyone.


One thing I love about blogs is that they can be very personal. You can get to know the author better and feel like you’re part of their life. It’s like having a virtual friend with whom you can talk anytime you want.


I also love how blogs can help us stay in touch with our friends and family. It’s easy to keep up with what they’re up to, even if you don’t see them in person. And when we do get to meet up, it’s even more special because we’ve been in touch for a while.


So, if you’re reading this far, thanks for blogging and reading my rambles. I really appreciate it. I feel like I have so many friends in this world, and blogs help me stay connected to them. And just because we don’t comment, I still appreciate the fact that you’re sharing your life with me, my friend.



So, Blog on and Carry on my friends!

Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ
First, do what you can with physical therapy before you start thinking about surgery. If there isn't a complete rupture, you'll start laying down new tissue and learning how to work around the injury.  Second, I love hearing from you, if only through the blog. You seem to live life with pure raw emotion, like living a poem. It's beautiful.  Third, way to make me feel guilty, guy. Thanks.Friday, August 28, 2009 at 11:18:46 AM CDT
Adam
Great post Londell. You're right about the personal aspect to blogs...I follow about 50 different fitness blogs but the ones I always look at first are the people I know.  Mine has become little more than a method to chart my workout regimen for future reference. Occasionally when I have free time it's fun to write about a topic that is on my mind.  Will you be up at Superior in any capacity this year?Friday, August 28, 2009 at 11:40:32 AM CDT
Diane
Hi Londell, Thanks for the post... everything you said is so true! I used to be so much better at posting regularly and fell out of the habit. It's sad when an e-mail virus posting is the most exciting blog update in a month. Blah. I did just get my Ragnar Relay update posted, and I bought a new treadmill, so I'll try to be better! i enjoy reading your posts about everything... it's interesting how a blog can really help you get to know a person. Friday, August 28, 2009 at 12:25:56 PM CDT
Helen
Great post! I love the sharing of info and the insights into people and their approach to life as much as their sport. I mostly follow running blogs but also love to meander through others from time to time. And it's been a lot of fun meeting people in person after following their blog! Friday, August 28, 2009 at 12:35:57 PM CDT
Karen G
I have been thinking lately about the reason for a blogging and whether to bother anymore. I have trouble writting sometimes- actually probably all the time because I think about who is going to see it and if it is how I want to be seen. I second guess myself a lot about what to write. Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 4:55:26 PM CDT
Wayne
Thanks for the update, Londell. Best wishes getting everything resolved with your shoulder and knee... I hope physical therapy works. 
 Good post on blogging too. I think it's a good way for us quieter folks to keep up with people and their lives, and it's good ice-breaker material for when we get together.  So I hope Steve and Karen and everyone else keeps blogging! :). 
Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 9:32:44 PM CDT
Anonymous
yes... 10x for thoughts :)). Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 4:25:59 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...