Friday, July 3, 2009

New blog title, the mind, a goal and surgery

I have revised the blog title. Previously, it was “Time to…,” essentially a call to action to take running seriously. However, I have changed it to “Quest to enjoy running again…” as it is challenging to commit to something one cannot or does not want to do. It has been some time since I last ran, and I long for the passion that many of us share and experience. I have noticed that many individuals are losing their passion for running. Adam experienced a similar feeling a while back, and Julie expressed a loss of passion. Did they regain their enthusiasm? Regardless, that is the reason for a new title. Are there any other updates?


I have completed two weight-lifting sessions since Grandma’s visit. The reason for this is that I received the results of the MRI on my knee, and I am now experiencing pain. I had the MRI ten days before Grandma’s visit, but I decided to wait until after Grandma’s to receive the results. Despite the pain, I had been experiencing it for eighteen months prior, so I had chosen to ignore it.


The results of my medical evaluation reveal a significant meniscus tear, calcium deposits (peri-tendinitis calcaria), and ACL damage. I recall the meniscus tear I sustained in March 2008, which I successfully overcame. However, the ACL and calcium issues emerged earlier this year when my knee was abruptly torqued by a human and a dog. The pain I experienced that night was unlike any other. We initially suspected ACL damage, with bleeding internally contributing to the calcium deposits. Consequently, this combination of factors hindered my recovery from the meniscus tear.


The extent of ACL damage will be determined during my July 17 surgery. The meniscus will also be surgically repaired. Following the surgery, I anticipate commencing rehabilitation shortly. It is estimated that I will require approximately 8-12 weeks to regain the ability to perform everyday activities. Subsequently, I will gradually rebuild my endurance, aiming to resume running in October, just in time for the onset of the colder months.


It’s funny how things change. Before the MRI results, I had a manageable pain level. Now, I’m constantly in pain. But really, nothing’s changed. It’s just my mind playing tricks on me.


I remember my 100-mile attempt in 2007. Most of the pain that forced me to quit at 77 miles was already there at 50 miles. My mind let them get the best of me. I still regret not finishing. That was the last race I ran on a good knee.


What’s been tough is the low mood from not being active and the disappointment of not having a clear goal anymore after completing my 25-year grandma’s finisher goal. I just can’t seem to get my head together. Thankfully, it’s not winter, as I have the pool to keep me sane, barely.


I’ll be at Afton at the start. I was going to volunteer officially, but I decided to just take my camera and hang out, taking a few hundred photos to share. It’ll be a blast! I’ll definitely want to join the runners (especially my back-of-the-pack friends I miss!), but I know I can’t. At least my mind won’t let me.


On a different note, my car finally gave up! By definition, at 150,000 miles, it’s too expensive to fix. So I finally got new wheels. And it’s so much fun! I needed a little emotional boost.

Carry on my friends, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ - If the new car dies, you could probably place it in the bed of a pickup! The one good thing about a serious injury 
is that it usually makes you want to run again just because you can't. I go through the running blahs every now and then
and fortunately, I'm out of them right now. You'll be back before you know it. Friday, July 3, 2009 at 10:11:11 AM CDT

Mike W.  - I agree with Steve, as always. Nice car.Before my knee surgeries, running motivation was tough. After the 
surgery and recovery once I set a new goal, the motivation returned.  Friday, July 3, 2009 at 12:24:02 PM CDT

Beth - I'm glad you have planned surgery and rehab so you can get your knee healthy again. The 
motivation will come with the healing. Until then, enjoy the pool and the super cool car. Keep us updated!
Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 12:24:19 AM CDT

Diane - Great car! Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:53:50 AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...