Monday, July 13, 2009

Glad I am alive, Really!

On Saturday, while riding my bicycle, I experienced an unexpected incident. Although I have yet to return to the exact location to meticulously examine the events, I can summarize the situation as a severe bicycle crash. While not involving a collision with a vehicle such as a car or truck, I ended up somersaulting over the handlebars and landing headfirst. Consequently, the front wheel sustained significant damage. Fortunately, the use of a properly fitted helmet played a crucial role in safeguarding my life. I often wish I had a clearer recollection of all the specific details surrounding the incident.

My trail running experience proved to be instrumental in saving my life. I swiftly found myself in a tuck-and-roll position and collided headfirst with the right front of my body, striking the right shoulder and subsequently descending down my body. As a result, I developed a noticeable lump on the right temple and experienced some minor scrapes. Notably, the right hand sustained the most blood, while the rest of my body primarily consisted of scrapes and bruises. The most concerning consequence was a concussion, which left me feeling dizzy and disoriented after the accident. This unfortunate incident had occurred once before, resulting in two concussions in my lifetime. I am resolute in avoiding any further occurrences of this.


Unfortunately, I am unable to raise my right arm, but the results of the ex-rays indicate that there are no fractures. While I experience rib pain when attempting to laugh, there are no fractures in my body. If I utilize my left arm to provide support during lifting, I am able to raise my right arm with reduced discomfort each day. I believe that if I were to take Advil, my discomfort would alleviate, but as I have a scheduled surgery in the near future, I am unable to take anti-inflammatory medication. This is a disappointing situation.


In retrospect, I recognize the pivotal role that my properly fitted helmet played in my survival. In a post over a year ago, I reported the tragic death of my friend Dana due to a bike accident. She was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident. Although I did not mention whether the helmet was not properly fitted, I believe that her death served as a valuable lesson that I am grateful for. While we cannot predict the future, the image above clearly demonstrates the importance of wearing a helmet. If you had witnessed my helmet damaged and loose, you would undoubtedly agree.


Consequently, I now have multiple reasons to take rest after my surgery on Friday. Fortunately, I am fortunate to only have a concussion.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Mike W. - Glad it turned out ok, it's amazing how quick things can wrong. Now rest easy and good 
luck with the surgery so you can get back out and enjoy the safety of the trails.
Monday, July 13, 2009 at 7:37:31 PM CDT

Wayne - Wow, Londell, I'm glad you're ok! Get everything put back together and then we'll see 
you back on the trails.Monday, July 13, 2009 at 10:06:02 PM CDT

Scott Mark - Thank goodness you made it through that - what a scare. Take it easy already!
I think you have enough going on. ;-). Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 8:27:35 AM CDT

Kel - Yikes! Glad you walked away from that one... Good luck with your surgery - hope to see 
you back out on the trails soon :). Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 10:01:44 AM CDT

SteveQ - Wow. Take care! Hope the surgery goes better than the ride.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 10:16:41 AM CDT

Karen G - I am glad you are Ok!!! I hate hearing stories like that because I don't wear a bike 
helmet and probably don't plan to, not that I ride all that much. Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 10:22:20 AM CDT

Beth - I'm so glad that you are okay. So true about the right fitting helmet. You are living proof 
as to how important it is. Take care of yourself and good luck with the surgery. Take it easy!
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 2:30:28 PM CDT

Helen - Wow - scary stuff. Thank god the helmet did it's job. Rest up and good luck with the 
surgery. Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 8:52:37 PM CDT

Diane - Scary! I'm very glad that you're okay. Makes me want to run and make sure my helmet 
fits correctly (especially thinking about my couple rides down the mountain highways!)
Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:56:10 AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...