Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dumb, Smart, or in between?

I was feeling better and my knee was doing okay, so I decided to go for a walk. I planned a short one-mile walk. It was nice and easy, and it was just nice to get some fresh air. My other option was a bike ride, but my right shoulder is still really painful, and getting on the bike was way too painful to risk. So I decided to walk instead.


Before I got three blocks, my knee started to hurt, so I turned around. It got worse, so I hobbled home, and now I have it elevated with ice. I didn’t hurt it, because I didn’t have any pain medicine at all today, but I had taken it the last three days.


So, I’m not as confident right now. But that’s all part of the healing process. I thought about my friends who are doing the Voyageur 50 today. The forecast was nice temperatures, but it was supposed to rain. I’ve always wanted to do that race, but I’ve never gotten around to it. It’s the same weekend each year. I have an event where I’m a referee, so I might have to skip it this year. I said that last year too, didn’t I? I know I’m stepping back a bit, so I’ll have more time for other things.


Anyway, RICE it is, and I may try a walk on Wednesday. I have a follow-up with the surgeon on Tuesday.


Carry on my friends, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Mike W. - Sounds like fairly normal post-op pain, good choice to ice it and give it few days. 
It will take a few weeks before you are back. Keep healing, you will be walking normally soon 
and running shortly thereafter. I need patience over the next few days and weeks. 
Look forward to seeing you out there soon.  Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 11:02:48 PM CDT

Don - I say smart, thinking long term.  Sunday, July 26, 2009 at 7:52:02 AM CDT

Diane - Glad to hear surgery went well and your recovery has started. I don't think trying to go
for a walk was dumb, but I think it was wise to realize your limits and turn around when you 
experienced the pain.   Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:59:39 AM CDT

SteveQ - I thought of you on the power lines: my knee hurt, but not like yours. I think you'd like 
the course, though it has more asphalt than you'd probably like.   Monday, July 27, 2009 at 12:05:32 PM CDT

Beth Good luck at your appointment today. Sounds smart to take it slow and just see how you feel each day.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 9:35:34 AM CDT

Kel - Hang in there Londell! You've been through too much to mess it up by trying to come back too soon. 
Sounds like you made the right choice :)  Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 9:33:53 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...