Here is a simple question: how do you ice bath? I have done it a few times and experimented with various methods to minimize the discomfort of entering the tub. On my first attempt, I placed five pounds of ice in the tub of cold water and entered from the waist down. If the neighbors were home, the police should have been notified. Additionally, I employed some vocabulary that I also used during my initial 100-mile attempt.
The experience was short-lived. Subsequently, I attempted to place the cold water in the tub, enter, and then add ice. It was still a somewhat painful experience. Therefore, the past two times, I have sat in the tub, turned on the cold water, and allowed it to fill me. After approximately two minutes, I poured in the ice. This process is manageable. I typically stay in for about 15-20 minutes, then exit and wait about 30 minutes before taking a hot shower.
I would appreciate it if anyone could share their secret of success in the ice bath practice. I am quite timid.
On Saturday, I attended the Cinco de Mayo festival in St. Paul. While I felt somewhat out of place, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and encountered a diverse group of individuals. It took me until today to comprehend the significance of a Jethro belt, and deciphering the associated sign proved equally challenging. However, it is a piece of rope available for purchase at a nominal price of $1. Notably, Jethro Bodine, a character from the television series “The Beverly Hillbillies,” utilized it as a belt. This concept for generating income is intriguing.
Additionally, I captured several captivating photographs by observing the attendees. It is often believed that observing the event is the most enjoyable aspect of such gatherings. I have included some of my images below. The high-power zoom lens I utilized proved invaluable in capturing these moments.
On Saturday morning, Shelley and I participated in a 15K run in Rochester, Minnesota. Despite Shelley’s initial reservations, I was confident in her ability to complete the race. I performed well, while she finished in 1:44:24, a time that was one second faster than mine. The most remarkable aspect of her accomplishment was that she surpassed several runners but never experienced being overtaken.
My left Plantar Fascia remained slightly tender, while my right knee exhibited stiffness but had improved. As my lower body has recovered, I intend to commence regular weight training. However, I recognize the need for a brief respite from physical activity. While I have previously engaged in weightlifting once or twice a week, I plan to adopt a more structured approach.
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
This particular study used contrast baths rather than just cold: protocol was to immerse the lower body to the top of the hip bone for 1 minute in cold water (temp 45-50 degrees F) followed immediately by immersion for 2 minutes in hot water (temp 104-108 degrees F). Alternate between cold & hot 5 times for a total of 15 minutes.
The findings of this study indicate that strength, power, and muscle soreness improved with contrast baths compared to the control group, which did nothing but rest. I should also mention that the baths were done immediately after a high-intensity weight lifting session rather than endurance exercise lasting several hours.
One primary hypothesis as to why contrast baths may help is basically that alternating between hot and cold creates a "pumping" action in the muscle and lymphatic tissues (everything contracts when cold and expands/dilates when warm). This helps reduce swelling and eliminate metabolic waste products from muscle tissue.
I have seen other studies about cryotherapy mentioned briefly, but they did not get enough info to be useful. For example, a study on well-trained 5K runners used cold water immersion but didn't list the water temperature, duration of immersion, etc., and had mixed results. Another study immersed participants in 59-degree F water for 15 minutes every 12 hours for 3 days with no improvement in performance.
The biggest challenge of contrast baths is logistical (who has 2 tubs to have 1 hot & 1 cold?) - unless you run between Lake Superior and the hot tub during the North Shore races ;)
Anyhoo, perhaps you're trying to get your ice bath too cold! Try cold water in the 45-50 degree range. Maybe alternate 1 min cold with 2 minutes under an electric blanket x 5?
Good luck!
I use my ice for crash-chilling yeast starters instead.



No comments:
Post a Comment