I ran over 20 miles weekly and planned another 15 over the weekend. However, I broke down and saw the specialist about my right knee. I had an HGH shot and felt better. Training started with a 15-mile week in February and gradually increased to 30 miles after 10 weeks. One night, I was at a friend’s place when my knee suddenly hurt. I visited my regular doctor, who advised waiting and seeing. I nursed the pain for weeks, but it was too much.
I made an appointment with the specialist from last year on a Friday night at 5:00 PM. During the meeting, I mentioned a mysterious bruise on my left leg that I woke up with last fall. The picture shows the bruise I woke up with one day. I never had it checked, and I didn’t seek medical attention for months after the strange pain. After 10 weeks of regular training, starting at 15 miles and gradually increasing to 30 miles a week, I shouldn’t be experiencing this pain.
The doctor diagnosed a torn cartilage in my knee after taking ex-rays and feeling pressure points. He recommended an MRI next week. The fall on the ice in March 2008 likely caused it. He gave me more cortisone and advised another dose if the pain worsened before Grandma’s. This has hindered my training for 16 months, so Afton and Superior are out of the question until I’m fully recovered.
After the Doctor’s visit and the shot, I turned on the TV and saw an episode of MASH. I love the show. In one episode, Trapper promises a young soldier with a young daughter he’ll save his leg, but gangrene requires amputation. Trapper is saddened and sickened by his failure. When the soldier wakes and Trapper has to tell him the news, he’s not saddened. He asks Trapper not to tell his wife because she likes to stay home and he doesn’t want her to hide his leg. I almost cried. We often forget the positives when we focus on the negatives. I’ve been more negative than positive the past month. It’s hard when I have a hard time even walking without heavy pain, but I’m walking. Many people wish they had such an opportunity. I’m blessed and need to remember that.
This week, I learned that a good friend and co-worker has stage 4 melanoma that has attacked other organs. They say he may only have six months. He’s 42. I also read the post on Cynthia Brochman on Chad’s blog. She’s so brave! How these people keep their spirits is beyond me, yet they do. I pray for them both as they’ve been given the worst news. May God be with them.
- Life Is Too Short, so Break The Rules,
- Forgive Quickly,
- Kiss Slowly,
- Love Truly,
- Laugh Uncontrollably,
- And Never Regret Anything That Made You Smile.
- Life May Not Be The Party we Hoped For,
- But While We're Here,
- We Should Dance...
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment