Monday, May 25, 2009

I ran, felt great, until the next day... I learned

I’m so jealous of those who ran the Fargo Marathon! Beth had an amazing race, and she’s training for a triathlon. Congrats on her continued success! Fargo is my hometown. I graduated from West Fargo High School, and that’s where my son had an accident that resulted in the amputation of his right hand. Memories of good are overshadowed by memories of bad.


I was so happy Mike offered to run with me on Monday morning. It was a great run for me. My right foot hurt a bit, but my knee was great the whole time. We did about an 11-minute mile from the Sibly House to Highway 77 and about a 12-minute mile going back. It was just over 12 miles, but it wasn’t too hard. This gives me confidence about Grandma’s. I ran in my new Experia Thorlopad sock. For $14 for the pair, I thought I’d give it a try. I got a blister about the size of a quarter on the ball of my foot, so I can say don’t bother with them. Even after I put on good foot lotion.


Then this morning I woke up, and it took me only 20 minutes to walk. The PF in my left foot was okay, not worse or better than the week before. But I have this huge lump on the inside back of my knee. Four Advil and I were ready for the day once they kicked in. So I learned I can do Grandma’s, although I may regret it on Sunday after all.


On a positive note, I decided to list some things I have learned in this life:


  • I've learned that no matter what happens or how bad it seems today, life continues, and it will be better tomorrow.
  • I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when gone.
  • I've learned that making a "living" is not the same as making a "life."
  • I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
  • I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.
  • I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
  • I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
  • I've learned that it's essential to reach out and touch someone every day. People love the human touch—holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
  • People will forget what you said/did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.


And most importantly, I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. A WHOLE LOT TO LEARN!


Carry on my friends, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Beth
Thanks for the shout out! I'm sorry that Fargo has some bad memories for you. They do host a great race, so if you ever decide to make some good memories there, I promise to come and cheer you on. I understand, though, sometimes things are better left alone.

I'm so glad that you are feeling good for Grandma's. I love your list of all of the things that you have learned. I've read them several times and many of them really hit home for me. Thanks for that. We all have so much to learn.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:12:09 PM CDT
Mike W.
Nice running with you Londell, hopefully you are back to moving normally now and got good news from the Doctor. Good list of lessons learned as well. 

Good luck, heal fast and enjoy Grandmas this year. Hope to see you at Afton.
Friday, May 29, 2009 at 6:30:28 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...