Hey there! I’ve got some not-so-cheerful news to share, but I’ll start with a lighthearted moment. Have you seen this incredible artwork I found? It’s someone painting images on a dirty car window. It’s so creative and unique!
Now, I know life can be tough, but I have to remember that I have a life to live. It’s important to stay positive and keep moving forward.
On a different note, the Eli Young Band is performing at the Cabooze next month. If you’re interested in checking them out, head over to their website. I had the chance to see the Zac Brown Band there three weeks before they released their top-selling album. It was an amazing experience, and I’ll never forget it. Even though it’s not my usual genre, it’s definitely my kind of music!
It’s been a while since my last post. In my last one, I mentioned my struggles with plantar fasciitis, tendinitis, and a possible meniscus tear in my right knee. I’ve been trying to find ways to manage my pain and improve my condition.
Kel’s suggestion was a really thoughtful idea. She suggested an idea where you submerge your lower body up to your hip bone in cold water (around 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit) for a minute, then immediately switch to hot water (around 104-108 degrees Fahrenheit) for two minutes. You should do this five times, alternating between cold and hot water, for a total of 15 minutes. She mentioned that studies have shown that contrast baths can improve strength, power, and muscle soreness compared to just resting. She also said that these baths should be done right after a high-intensity weightlifting session, not an endurance exercise that lasts for hours.
I tried this out, and it felt better than just icing the sore area. I had been icing the area and then applying a heat pad in intervals. I’ll try this again later this spring when I get a hot tub close to a bathtub. I’ll post the results if I get a chance.
Unfortunately, I’m not doing so well right now. My plantar fasciitis in my left foot is worsening, not improving. My right knee is also worse. It wakes me up at night. After waking up in the morning or after sitting for more than an hour, I feel more pain than I did the day after my successful 77-mile run in 2007.
Regrettably, I have been preoccupied with negative matters lately and have not been writing extensively. I have maintained a running regimen of approximately 20 miles per week to maintain my physical fitness in preparation for completing 25 consecutive grandmas. However, after completing this milestone, I anticipate facing challenges due to significant issues with both legs. I intend to consult my physician to explore potential treatment options, including injections, which may provide some relief.
In addition to these personal concerns, I have been grappling with the challenges of my work life. In the current economic climate, many individuals are struggling and seeking assistance, but I lack the means to provide support. I recently learned of the unfortunate layoff of a friend who has dedicated 19 years of service to his company. While I initially attributed this to the economic downturn, I discovered that the company had hired new college graduates for these positions at significantly reduced compensation. This situation underscores the harsh realities of the job market.
Furthermore, I experienced the loss of my grandmother. While this did not directly affect me, it deeply saddened my father. The passing of my grandmother also served as a poignant reminder of Dana’s death. Death is a complex and multifaceted concept.
As a child, sex was considered a taboo subject, while death was not. However, in contemporary America, it appears that we have become more open about discussing sex, while death has become a subject that we prefer to avoid. I have often pondered the reasons behind this reluctance to confront death. In general, human beings harbor a profound fear of death, which is often associated with the apprehension of the unknown. The fundamental question that arises is whether there exists life after death.
In the past, I held a strong belief in the absence of an afterlife, which instilled in me profound fear and desperation. As a child, I would occasionally lie in bed and suddenly realize that one day I would cease to exist. The realization was an overwhelming and terrifying concept. I sought solace from my mother, but her response was limited to reassuring me that I was still young and not yet ready for such an event. Despite my efforts to push aside my fear, it would resurface at any moment.
During my youth, I experienced the loss of my three-year-old nephew. The words of the pastor who delivered the funeral sermon remain etched in my memory: “Death should not be feared or mourned, for God has bestowed upon us all a life.” He emphasized that Aaron had lived a full and meaningful life, even if it was limited to three years. The pastor challenged us to live our lives to the fullest and cherish every moment, as Aaron had done.
The passing of Dana reignited my profound fear of death. I have always been taught to confront my concerns rather than ignoring them. However, I am uncertain whether I have ever truly faced this loss. I often find myself wondering if I will ever experience joy and fulfillment in life again. I have refrained from discussing death with my surroundings, although I have occasionally felt compelled to do so. I have chosen to remain silent because people generally prefer not to engage in discussions about such an unpleasant subject. They do not wish to be reminded of their mortality.
Despite these challenges, I am committed to ensuring the success of Grandma’s endeavors. However, I anticipate that I will require several weeks, if not months, to fully recover from my injuries. Plantar fasciitis can be a protracted condition, but I have previously overcome it. In 1987-1989, after two years of battling this condition, I was able to resume my running activities without any further complications. Therefore, I am determined to continue my efforts and regain my health and enjoyment of running.
Until then, I will continue to live the best I can and be grateful that God has given me another day…
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
Sorry to hear about your pain. Grandma's is such a milestone that I agree, do whatever you need to to get through it and worry about the recovery later.
Take care,
Diane
I've lived through a lot of losses, especially lately; I've sort of become numbed to it and that bothers me more than anything. Not that I'd want to relive the pain I went through when my fiance died (15 years before I could pretend life was back to normal) - but one needs to grieve. Any time you want someone to talk to, just let me know.
I have a couple of brief injury thoughts - I have been seeing Jenna Boren for Active Release Therapy - have you considered that approach? And for the plantar fascitis, there was a recent thread on RunningBarefoot that might be worth mining: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RunningBarefoot/message/25864, granted that is a self-selecting community. I am not dogmatic like many barefoot runners, however I do believe firmly that my feet and legs have become stronger through barefoot running, and am hoping that will help prevent some running injuries. It's a controversial topic though...

No comments:
Post a Comment