Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Solid month, an issue and comments!

April is ending. I had a few 30-mile weeks and over 115 miles, including a few longer runs. I enjoyed the runs and focused on Grandma’s 2009 success. I don’t need an injury to derail my 24-year goal.


Last week, while relaxing on the couch, a large dog jumped up, and the person beside me pushed it away. Her heel pressed my kneecap hard, potentially breaking it. I didn’t say much, but now I’m concerned. I had it checked and advised to rest. If it hurts after two weeks, we’ll get an MRI. I’m nursing it. I did a painless 5K Tuesday and lifted weights today. Could it be minor? I have a 10-mile trip in Rochester on Saturday, and I hope to do it. I’ll take it easy this week and pray. I need to be careful not to jeopardize Grandma’s. I also feel slight inflammation in my left Plantar Fascia. I’ve been sleeping in my boot to prevent it from worsening.


Either way, I had a great month of April. I went to help out at the Zumbro 100-mile and Chippewa 50K. This was fun. It was great to be there for Kel's first ultra finish.  Steve Q had his third consecutive Ultra weekend in a row. Now he gets a week off and then a 50-mile.  Mike W. was unhappy with his time, but he did it nonetheless… More than I can say for 99 percent of America. Wayne continued his streak of PRs, COOL! I car-pooled with Karen G. (who looked GREAT) and Jimmy, who finished well despite significant surgery earlier in the year. I had not seen Karen since Superior. I met many others the past few weekends and had a blast.


Last night’s Biggest Loser was a surprise. I recorded it and watched it tonight. I was thrilled to see Tara win again. A contestant inspired me for the first time since I started watching. Now, with Ron’s lies and poor excuse for a man, it’s just a shame. They’re doing a marathon next week. I read that Dane lied about finishing a marathon on the show. He claimed to have run a 3:53 marathon, but he didn’t. He recently vindicated the lie with a 5:47 marathon. That sounds more like his size and shape.


I’ll keep getting ready for Grandma’s (51 days away) and then relax.


Until then, carry on.


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs


Beth
I feel your pain (ha ha) with the bonk to the knee. A similar thing happened to me a couple weeks before Fargo last year. Some kid sitting near me on a bleacher hit my knee. I couldn't help but blurt out to him to stay away from my legs because I was ready to run a marathon. Felt bad, but there was a lot of training invested in that knee. Sounds like you are on the right track with yours and that it will be good to go.Good luck with your 10 mile race!
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 8:29:00 PM CDT    
Wayne
Londell, I hope your knee is fine. Have a great run in Rochester! There's a dirt track near the start/finish so go ahead and plan in some speedwork while you're there! :)
Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 1:39:00 PM CDT
Matthew Patten
I appreciate your concerns about me helping those guys get back on course Saturday. "He's going to help them find where they got off course?"  It was ironic, but I found it!

The funny thing is, SST100 was one of the only ultras where I did not miss a single mark.
Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 9:22:00 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...