In the week of April 1, I experienced an enjoyable 30.8-mile running week. This represents an 18 percent increase in miles over the previous week, which raises a concern as I had anticipated maintaining weekly increases within the 5-10 percent range. My running schedule included Monday through Saturday, with Sundays being rest days. Although my pace was slightly slower than in previous weeks, this was the first week of outdoor running. In contrast, indoor running provides a more consistent pace.
I eagerly anticipate attending the Zumbro event early on Friday to contribute my skills and support. Additionally, I am particularly excited to test my recently acquired digital SLR camera and capture numerous photographs. Races will serve as an effective platform to explore the camera’s capabilities. I plan to pace Steve (if he experiences any fatigue) during the late hours of Friday or early Saturday morning, contingent upon his condition and the availability of suitable locations. It is intriguing to consider that a turtle can pace a rabbit, and I am confident that we will perform well in the dark conditions.
I trust that you are well. As an additional note to my Vitamin D post last week, engaging in intense exercise can also contribute to Vitamin D depletion. Considering the nature of a 100-mile run, it constitutes an intense training regimen.
My initial volunteer experience at an ultra-marathon was with Zumbro. I had never had a volunteer experience where I would remain at the race for over 24 hours of enjoyment. On Friday, I took a vacation day to assist (and pace someone) at the Zumbro 100. I departed at 5 AM and picked up Zac Pierce en route. We arrived at approximately 7:15 AM and prepared for the day. Larry, his family, and friends had the fire going as it was chilly.
We all prepared for the race; shortly, 17 runners set off on their journey. It was early in the race, and after the initial 5 miles, they appeared to be in excellent condition. Subsequently, they embarked on a 14.3-mile run to the east. Many runners exhibited altered appearances after that stretch. I initially believed that they had completed 20 miles. As the day progressed, I continued to take photographs and provide assistance until just before midnight. I had the opportunity to pace Steve Quick for miles 60-80.
During the race, I observed why some participants appeared fatigued after completing the second loop. This course presented a unique and challenging experience. It featured extensive flat sections, minor hills, and significant hills, with one particularly challenging and steep hill surpassing the ST 100 trail. The course also included stream crossings, areas with excellent footing, and those with poor footing, as well as numerous rocks that shifted beneath my feet without warning. Additionally, there were “U”-shaped horse trails with a 3-inch flat bottom before the curved upward section, requiring me to run one foot in front of the other. Furthermore, there were areas where 3-4 inches of leaves covered roots and rocks.
I managed to complete the loop with Steve, attempting to maintain a composed demeanor, but I was severely exhausted after the 20-mile stretch.
I remained at the finish line until approximately half of the finishers had crossed the finish line, at which point I departed. The drive home was arduous. Shelley provided me with dinner, which I consumed. I do not recall the exact time I retired for the night. Upon waking, it was 8:00 AM.
During the race, I captured over 200 photographs. If you enjoy physical challenges, I recommend scheduling this event for next year.
It is worth noting that I did not undergo extensive training before the race. I did, however, complete 32.9 miles that week. While I feel sore from the 20 miles I ran yesterday, I anticipate a full recovery. Next week, I plan to increase my mileage to 35 miles. I am gradually progressing, albeit at a steady pace.
However, I have a tennis event scheduled for the entire weekend of next week, which may necessitate a 25-mile week. Regardless, I do not harbor any negative feelings towards the runs. They are enjoyable experiences, albeit not always consistent. However, they all leave a lasting positive impression. This includes the 20-mile run at Zumbro, during which I resorted to profanity as I navigated the challenging terrain.
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
I'd never run that area before yesterday and was surprised at the difficulty of the terrain. I still think SHT is tougher but in a different way. I'd love to do it again in mid-October when the autumn leaves are in full color.
Oh, and if this course needed to be more tough, Larry already mentioned changing the course for next year to get rid of the flat area (small loop). ;)
She and her husband live in Rochester and she helped me at an aid station at last year's Chippewa Morraine.
That was Lynn and Daryl Saari. Lynn dropped after 100K, Daryl was 7th in a great run!
It is funny you noticed, and funny, I remember why Dallas was pointing. He was chewing Larry out. He said something about Larry underrating the course description to keep him away from the much easier McNaughton. It was funny. He just kept chewing Larry out (in a respectful, funny way). He was taking his easy road shoes and replacing them with his trail shoes.
It was a pretty funny thing. But Dallas is a hoot.
No comments:
Post a Comment