Monday, April 20, 2009

Repeated post?

I’ve discussed this on several occasions: my heart rate. I went 20 miles with Steve Q., stayed up for 28 hours, slept for 15 minutes, and stayed up for 7 hours again on Saturday. Sunday, I rode a 10-mile bike ride and rested. Monday, I rode to work and home, ran at lunch, and lifted weights. On Tuesday, I rode to and from work, ran for 40 minutes at lunch, and did some minor weight training. Today, I rode to and from work and ran 4.1 miles during my lunch break. Each activity raised my heart rate above average. Today’s run was 20 seconds slower than last week's, with an average heart rate of 158 compared to 134. My resting rate has been at least 72 all week, compared to the high 50s 2 weeks ago.


My stress has increased, and I haven’t slept well since the Zumba all-night activity. For the first time since I started regular workouts (about eight weeks ago), the run was less enjoyable. It felt burdensome and like a chore. I aimed for 30 miles this week, but I may settle for 20 and aim for close to 40 miles on the bike, possibly taking tomorrow off. I’ll decide based on my resting heart rate. As I’ve said before, I feel good, but my heart rate is up. I find my heart rate a great indicator of stress and when I need to rest. I’ll try to get 8 hours of sleep tonight, but I won’t cross my fingers.


I hope you’re all recovering well from Zumbo. It was tough, but we managed to survive.


Due to the elevated heart rate, I took Saturday off and did a 25-minute easy run on Sunday (23.2 miles total, 44.6 miles biking). This is down from two weeks of 30+ miles per week. Today, my resting heart rate dropped 16 BPM (78 to 62) from Friday. I ran in the rain, 20 seconds a mile faster than last week on the same course. My average heart rate was 132 BPM. I enjoy running more often than not. It’s a great feeling after not wanting to run again last October. A little rest is all it takes. I love monitoring my heart rate!


Many did great at Trail Mix. Steve Quick may be my idol. He looked terrible, but he had pulled off his first 100 a week before. Some pictures make him look like he was suffering, but he runs a time I can only dream of. Karen Gall deserves a Kudos. She has a challenging year and still finishes race after race. Wayne improved his race times until this one, but the course was different, and he ran faster than in 2007, so I argue the streak is still alive!


I’m volunteering at Chippewa this Saturday. The weather is iffy, but it’ll be better than last year! I’ll see many of you there. I wish you all well.


Carry on my friends!


Comments from my original other blog - I merged the blogs


Beth
So glad that you are rested and feeling like yourself again. Have fun with your volunteering- I'm sure it will be appreciated!
Monday, April 20, 2009 at 9:37:00 PM CDT
SteveQ
Maybe after Chippewa, when they're shoveling what's left of me into a car, you'll change your mind about that idol thing.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 10:51:00 AM CDT
Wayne
Glad you're feeling better, Londell. See you at Chippewa. And I like that you're lobbying for the streak... maybe I'll count it as good but with a * by it. :)
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 3:56:00 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...