Saturday, January 31, 2009

Alm,ost 60 degrees warmer

The last time I ran outside, it was 16 below zero. Five days later, I got sick and couldn’t do much. A terrible germ had killed half the staff at work, and it seems to have taken Matt Patten too. I was thrilled to wake up after six hours of sleep. I couldn’t miss the chance to run outside.


I went to the Minnesota River bottom and ran for two hours. The footing was mixed, with shaded areas of ice and hills to climb through slush. My foot sank four inches as I ran. I wore only a short-sleeved T-shirt over a long-sleeved one, and I was comfortable the whole time.


I tried a trick I read about to improve my Nathan bladder. I turned it upside down and sucked out the air. It did improve the ride, as there was no sloshing. However, it was more complicated to fill the bladder with air. I’ll test if it’s a kinked hose.


I also don’t like powders in the backpack bladder, so I filled straws with Gookinade powder and ate them like Pixi-Sticks. I prefer this to drinking stick drinks, which I spill occasionally. I’m interested in trying this again. Have others tried such a thing?


Anyway, I am so glad to be getting outside. I had some pains I did not like, but that is what happens when you take time off, at least.


Carry on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...