Over the past ten days, I have maintained a consistent running regimen, running approximately two out of three days with a minimum of thirty minutes each session. Notably, I have completed two runs exceeding two hours in duration.
In conjunction with my running routine, I have adopted a low-carb diet, which has resulted in a noticeable decline in my strength and endurance. While I have incorporated weightlifting into my exercise routine, I have not experienced a corresponding increase in strength. My current running pace is comparable to what I achieved during my 100-mile run, which I completed between 72 and 77 miles approximately five years ago. Despite the occasional challenges posed by icy conditions on the river trail during the past weekend, I managed to maintain a steady pace of approximately fourteen minutes per mile. While my heart rate remained within the mid-thirties, I experienced significant resistance in my legs, making it difficult to propel myself forward.
Tomorrow, I embark on a trip to Germany, where I plan to avoid engaging in running activities. Instead, I have made arrangements for extensive walking, but running is not on my itinerary. Upon my return, I will schedule a follow-up blood test to assess my progress and consider discontinuing my low-carb diet. I have a particular fondness for pasta, and my current dietary restrictions, which prioritize 55% protein, 25% carbohydrates, and 20% fat, have proven to be a challenge. I adhere to a meticulous food tracking system, closely monitoring my intake. However, this approach has proven to be arduous, particularly for me.
As I watched television this evening, I observed an interview with a single mother of fourteen. This has been a topic of numerous conversations that I have listened to but have not actively participated in throughout the past week. The more I learn about this situation, the more perplexed I become by how anyone can reasonably expect to support fourteen children alone financially. I have one child myself, and that presents significant challenges. However, as my former professor would often say, what constitutes “proper” parenting?
I have witnessed the struggles of families with five or six children, and I want to know if you and I would be willing to support these families financially and many other children in similar circumstances. While I may never fully comprehend this situation, it is a possibility that I cannot dismiss. I am not expected to fully grasp it. These individuals never fully understand when I mention Al Holtz and his remarkable 150-mile run last year. We all have our unique traits, but the traits that many of us share and that I share are not a burden on the taxpayer. Although I may be making an erroneous assumption, that is the only conclusion I can draw in this particular situation.
After careful consideration of my potential race options for the 2009 season, I have concluded that the most suitable race for me is the Grandma’s race. While I acknowledge that I am currently running more frequently, I find that regular running lacks the excitement and motivation that I seek. I enjoy outdoor activities and running itself, but the prospect of a structured race does not excite me at this time.
I recently discovered a valuable resource compiled by a fellow blogger, which includes a comprehensive list of podcasts related to running. I recommend exploring this resource: http://mwrunfar.blogspot.com/2009/02/running-podcasts-continue-to-grow.html. I found several podcasts that I found engaging and informative. In the meantime, I must prepare for my upcoming 4,800-mile journey to visit my son and enjoy a relaxing vacation. While maintaining a routine with a highly active 20-year-old male may not be particularly soothing, we share a strong bond and create wonderful memories together. This is my second extended vacation since 1999, and I am eager to unwind and recharge.
Carry on my friends, carry on!
Comments from other blogs - merged the blogs
Have a wonderful trip Londell!
Have a great time in Germany!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment