I read an article in the Star-Tribune yesterday about a man’s attempt to run 93 miles on a treadmill in 24 hours. Initially, I thought Diane Farmer, the queen of treadmill training, should challenge him. However, I realized many people could easily achieve this. Adam, who can flip a tire, can run over 100 miles on a treadmill in 24 hours. Most successful ultra runners are humble.
I’ve been sick all week and haven’t slept much. I’ve been monitoring my sleep and pulse rate, and I’ve slept only 20 hours in 6 days, which is less than 3.5 nights. I’m now on autopilot and forgetful. I hate taking sleeping pills, but I think I need to buy some. They make me feel depressed.
I ran yesterday and felt good. I completed 3.1 miles in 32 minutes. Grandma’s Marathon no longer bans headphones, but they still encourage people to avoid them to enhance the race experience. I entered. I’ve said it many times on this blog: I had a goal in 1985 to run 25 consecutive years. I have 24! I’m unsure if I want to fail, but I’m already nervous. It doesn’t seem like an accomplishment until I reflect on life changes, injuries, and other obstacles I’ve overcome.
Saturday looks like a great day to go outside. I finally have three weekends where my tennis team only has me working a match daily, which is nice. However, I then have three weekends where any training is impossible, as I spend 12-14 hours a day playing tennis.
Starting March 21, I’ll have only one weekend of tennis until May 16, so I plan to focus on weight loss and training for 6 weeks. Until then, I aim to build a consistent base of 20-30 miles a week. Over the next 8 weeks, I plan to increase my average miles to the high 40s and gradually reach the 50s. At that point, I’ll decide whether to work an aid station at the Superior 100 or attempt to run it again.
I’ll be in Munich, Germany, with my son in 2 weeks. I’ve never been there, so it should be exciting!
Carry on my friends, carry on!
Comments from other blog - merged the blogs
Guaranteed.
I agree with Steve's prediction.
No comments:
Post a Comment