Saturday, February 25, 2023

Snow and is stress killing us?

This week, we received 20 inches of snow in 40 hours. Despite forecasts of more, the press sensationalized opinions to boost ratings. Clearing a driveway was challenging due to the heavy snow. This is typical for a Minnesotan.

I learned that “Minnesotan” is a demonym. Demonyms designate all people of a place, regardless of differences like ethnicity, language, religion, or culture. Here are some examples:

Fayetteville, Arkansas – Fayettevillian

Fargo, North Dakota – Fargoan

Cary, North Carolina – Caryite

Apple Valley, MN – Valleyian

Duluth, MN - Duluthian

Nashville, Tennessee - Nashvillian

Life can be stressful, whether due to work, personal issues, or the impacts of a global pandemic. Regardless of the source, the body responds the same way. People say it will kill me, but it doesn’t directly cause death; it can have serious health consequences over time.

I’ve been trying to cope with stress. There are two types: good stress (controllable, like workouts or hobbies) and bad stress (uncontrollable). Both send hormonal signals that increase cortisol and adrenaline. In the short term, it motivates, but long-term chronic stress doesn’t.

High cortisol levels in chronic stress can cause weight gain, inflammation, breathing issues, stomach discomfort, and high blood sugar.

My work has become toxic and high-stress, worsening over the past few months. My supervisor’s boss constantly makes degrading comments about me and avoids me. Others avoid me to avoid the same treatment. People have left without notice after the wrath. There’s no middle ground; you’re either the best friend or the enemy. My supervisor acts cautiously to avoid becoming the next target.

Some say to leave, but I must get through this year to secure a potential retirement package. Otherwise, I’m concerned about my retirement years. However, the lack of leadership and a toxic environment might reduce their effectiveness. It’s a balancing act! Writing about stress and life helps control what’s out of our control.

 I’ve been using my Wahoo Kikr Core (it is now $300 less than I paid a few years ago) and RouvyRouvy is an augmented reality program that makes the rides fun. It’s so natural that I’ve ridden courses and then driven them later, as if I’d been there many times. It’s fun and helps reduce stress.  


I hope all is well in your world.  If I can make it to retirement, I know life will be much better if I escape the toxic environment I experience most days now!


Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...