Sunday, April 16, 2023

The older you get, the stranger the message

My workplace has become highly toxic. The new administration resembles a clique in high school, with some as targets and others doing minimal work to avoid notice. We’re treated based on the Director’s attitude, not equality. I’m not a favorite, and my physician advises reducing stress to prepare for retirement. Despite my efforts, I’m concerned about heart issues due to the pressure and abuse from leadership. The delay in a full review is frustrating; they consider a follow-up echocardiogram essential, but it can only be scheduled in July.

The office was once friendly, but the administration has created an environment where avoiding confrontation is best. I recently met an employee who apologized for knowing the Director hated me and was harsh to those who considered me a friend. They avoid me to prevent wrath from the Director. They even created an acronym, “WOK,” to avoid the WOK (WRATH OF KARLA).

I know staying longer will only make the administration unhappy, but I’ll wait to see if I’m forced out. I’ve hired legal counsel and documented everything in case the Director decides to pursue me. I need to address my healthcare coverage concerns before retiring next spring. Over the past few years, I’ve noticed books placed on my desk, some subtly suggesting I leave. Recently, a book on my chair caught my attention, though I’m unsure if it was from the Director or a Secret Santa.

As I age, I find it harder to do things I used to do easily. This past weekend, I struggled to change my bicycle tire and eventually paid a bike shop to do it. I did manage to change the sprocket and chain quickly, but the tire change was nearly impossible.

I’m upgrading my photo-taking and processing system for retirement. My 2016 iMac, used for post-processing photography, has slowed down, so I purchased the Mac Studio. The difference is significant; loading Photoshop or Lightroom takes under 10 seconds on the Mac Studio, and post-processing photos is instantaneous. There are no delays in processing either.

I’m not upgrading my cameras. My Nikon D810s and D-600s are still my go-to, and they perform well. I may share more photos in the coming months, but I’m aware that time is not infinite as I age.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...