Friday, May 29, 2015

Bleeding Ulcer, SH*%!

Feeling run down, I blamed my attempt to get back into shape. I learned to lounge and gradually regain my fitness, rather than pushing myself to play as if I were in peak condition. However, as I age, I yearn for the health of my younger self, leading to routine scenarios where I feel run-down and blame various circumstances.


Earlier this week, after dinner, I hid in my room due to intense stomach pain. It was excruciating! I visited the doctor for help. I have recurring extreme stomach pain and indigestion. I suspected it might be from the OTC sleep medicine and the daily need for ibuprofen. There’s extreme tenderness in my belly, so I underwent additional examination and testing.


The stool revealed occult blood, detectable only through chemical tests. The doctor explained that fatigue and tiredness stemmed from bleeding. The stomach combines food and digestive juices, initiating the digestive process. A protective lining shields it from digestive enzymes. Damage to this lining causes inflammation and pain, potentially leading to bleeding in the stomach or duodenum.


Red blood cells transport oxygen to organs. A low red blood cell count can cause fatigue, weakness, lack of energy, shortness of breath, chest discomfort, and lightheadedness when standing up quickly. This occurs because the body struggles to deliver oxygen-carrying red blood cells to the brain, which subsides after a few seconds as the body adapts or sits down.


Chronic inflammation resulted in the formation of a small crater, or ulcer, in the gastrointestinal tract. I experienced occasional black tarry stools. Through endoscopy, a source of bleeding was identified, and the blood vessels were cauterized.


Currently, I am advised to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen. Lansoprazole has been prescribed to reduce stomach acid secretion and facilitate healing. The effectiveness of these measures will be evident in the near future, as I have not experienced any improvement in my condition today. I will continue to manage my health one day at a time.


I am aware that diet plays a crucial role in treating bleeding ulcers. The following nutrients and foods should be incorporated into a diet:

  • Vitamin A: Apricots, cheese, carrots, cantaloupe, eggs, spinach, mangoes, sweet potato, and milk
  • Vitamin C: Mangoes, peas, melons, beans, oranges, cabbage, milk, berries, potatoes, yogurt, lemons, pork, beef, liver, mussels, and chicken.
  • Vitamin E: Spinach and other leafy greens, Egg yolk, peanuts, mangoes, and kiwis.
  • Zinc: Dairy products, peas, and oranges

My foods to avoid are:

  • Pepper
  • Chili
  • Caffeine
  • Fried and oily food
  • Chocolate

Let's see if I am intelligent and disciplined enough to conquer this pain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...