Thursday, February 5, 2015

R.I.P. again

In my last post, I mentioned the passing of Steve Wilkinson. I’ve lost three friends in the first 34 days of 2015, which hasn’t been a good start.


Aaron Buffington, a fellow in my profession and a long-distance runner, lost his battle with cancer. I met him at work functions and later at the Superior 100 in 2011. We lost touch after his child was born, but I still consider him a friend.


I attended Steve Wilkinson’s visitation and funeral last weekend. It was a day of tears. What amazed me was meeting his daughters for the first time. They were shocked when I introduced myself and praised my work ethic and dedication. It was a humbling moment, as I had no idea my efforts had been recognized by someone as incredible as Steve. He was a great reader and knew I didn’t need praise to do my best.


It’s hard to believe he’s gone. Neal Halberg’s simple and authentic words at the funeral (available on YouTube) resonated deeply. Steve was an eternal optimist, and his attitude toward life is reflected in the “Psychology of Winning.” I wish I had prioritized my family over my career.

Even when faced with the world’s biggest jerk, Steve would smile, find a positive aspect, and promote good in everyone. Here’s what Neil read.        

Before Steve
  • I did not know that an ego could be tamed with one prayer
  • I did not realize that fear could be conquered with a smiley-faced racket
  • I did not know that winning could mean losing 0-6 0-6
  • Or losing could mean winning 6-0 6-0
Before Steve
  • I did not know that simply saying a name could be the key to unlocking someone's soul.
  • I did not know that "thank you" was as important as "I love you."
  • I did not realize that having a vision meant not everyone would like you
  • I did not know that silence might be the best advice a person can give 
Before Steve 
  • I did not know that driving a ten-year-old car and living in the same modest house for forty years could make you rich in what matters.
  • I did not know that Rol-Dri-ing a court - properly - could make one old guy so happy.
  • I did not know that "I could" if I thought I could
Before Steve
  • I did not know that grief could press you down onto your mattress for hours.
  • And only love could make you get back up again.
  • And I did not know that lifting one person up could make everyone around you fly.
  • Including yourself.
Before Steve
  • I did not know that the face of life and the face of death are the same: 
  • A smile and a high-five

He should have mentioned Steve after him, but that’s just not possible. Everyone will eventually move on, but for this friend who’s a bit overweight, arrogant, and getting older, I’ll never forget him.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...