Wheat Belly, a captivating book, intrigued me after years of frustration with weight gain despite eating a relatively low-calorie diet. I’ve also explored the link between weight gain, obesity, and depression. Clinical studies show obesity and depression often co-occur without a cause-and-effect relationship. Scientists seek to understand their connection: does obesity cause depression, or vice versa? Could a third factor drive both? These questions guide research and treatment.
Our modern Western diet often drives obesity and depression. Excessive fructose, primarily from sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, contributes to insulin resistance and central obesity. Insulin resistance requires more insulin to drive glucose into cells, trapping fat inside cells that can’t be used for energy. Recent evidence suggests that excessive fructose intake alters gut bacterial flora, contributing to the development of metabolic syndrome and obesity.
Rapidly absorbed carbohydrates, especially from grains, cause unstable glucose levels and magnified glucose spikes. Over time, these spikes damage nerve cells because neurons lack an insulin gate, leading to loss of nerve function and neuropathy before other organs are affected.
Over time, toxic glucose spikes trigger diffuse brain dysfunction, impairing brain function. The first symptom is a craving for sweet and starchy food, leading to excessive consumption and brain damage. Mild brain dysfunction symptoms include fatigue, anxiety, mood swings, and poor sleep. At this stage, the symptoms are mild and variable, indicating the absence of a disease.
There are two types of obesity. The most common type is associated with insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type II diabetes. The second type, MINE, occurs when excessive body fat develops without adverse metabolic markers. This type is seen in overfed healthy animals.
Obesity linked to sugar, HFCS, and grains isn’t due to calories or overeating. People with this type of obesity, like me, have excess body fat, especially in the abdomen.
After reading Wheat Belly, I explored the link between obesity and depression. I wanted to know about the connection between depression and people with “metabolic obesity” and those who were obese but metabolically healthy. People with metabolic issues were at a higher risk of developing depression, while those without were not.
How does this apply to me? I prefer not to be obese or depressed. If insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome are the leading causes of obesity and depression, the best strategy is to prevent or treat metabolic problems. To limit my intake of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome triggers, I should avoid sugar, HFCS, and high glycemic carbohydrates, especially from grains.
Indeed, this description accurately characterizes the majority of processed foods that constitute the foundation of the contemporary American diet. I am diligently endeavoring to adopt a diet rich in wholesome foods, encompassing meat, poultry, fish, seafood, vegetables, and fruits. While I am not particularly fond of milk due to its high sugar content, a moderate intake of cheese is acceptable. Additionally, I restrict my consumption of legumes due to their potential anti-nutrient properties. Some individuals may recognize this dietary approach as a Paleo-style approach. However, I prefer to refer to it as a healthy diet.
By adopting this dietary regimen, I anticipate making significant strides in mitigating the metabolic issues that appear to contribute to my obesity and depression.
Furthermore, I am aware that wheat is also associated with ADHD, PTSD, anxiety disorders, autism, fibromyalgia, and irritable bowel syndrome. I find this connection intriguing and believe there is a correlation between food and these prevalent disorders. Consider this: would I prefer to endure a lifetime of taking medication, experiencing a state of drowsiness, or modify my diet?
This pivotal study unequivocally demonstrates the correlation between the consumption of specific foods and depression. In the foreseeable future, we can expect to see an increase in research examining the impact of diet on common chronic diseases. My next reading will be Gary Taubes’ “Good Calories, Bad Calories” and “Why We Get Fat.”
I need to get a hold of this life, as the past year has been far from enjoyable.
No comments:
Post a Comment