How many times have you heard that phrase? I once believed that health was the most essential aspect of life, including physical well-being. However, it has become a part of everyday vernacular that has almost lost its meaning. We all agree that positive thinking is beneficial. Nevertheless, it is challenging to express my own positive feelings, such as “I like myself. My life is enjoyable. Things are going well.”
However, what about when things are difficult? What about those days when I experience such stress that my veins protrude from my forehead? What about those times when I dislike my job? What about the days when I feel overwhelmed by a series of unfortunate events?
I have encountered individuals who maintain a positive outlook during challenging times. In all honesty, their Pollyanna “life is still beautiful” attitude when things fall apart is somewhat irritating. Although I fully comprehend that positive thinking can have a tangible impact on the brain.
Neuroplasticity, a scientific concept, posits that our thoughts can alter the structure and function of our brains. Initially introduced by William James in 1890, this idea was met with skepticism from scientists who held the belief that the brain was a rigidly mapped entity, with specific regions responsible for distinct functions. Damage or death to these areas would result in the loss or alteration of their associated functions. However, this notion has been proven erroneous. Neuroplasticity is now widely accepted as evidence of the brain’s boundless adaptability and dynamism.
The human brain possesses the remarkable capacity to undergo structural changes, even in individuals with severe neurological conditions. Individuals experiencing strokes, cerebral palsy, and mental illnesses can train other brain regions through repetitive mental and physical activities. These interventions can have profound and life-altering effects.
This concept leads us to the realm of positive thinking and its potential impact on the brain. Repetitive positive thoughts and positive activities can indeed rewire our brains and strengthen the areas responsible for generating positive emotions, as highlighted in the acclaimed book “The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science” by Norman Doidge. The brain has the remarkable ability to rewire itself and establish new neural pathways through consistent effort. Similar to exercise, this process requires repetition and active engagement to reinforce new learning. The book provides insights into specific actions that individuals can take to modify their brains during challenging times.
A crucial aspect is overcoming the fear of failure. I often harbor apprehension about undertaking new endeavors due to the apprehension of potential failure. This sentiment has only become evident in recent years. It is imperative that I consciously refrain from dwelling on the reasons that hinder my ability to accomplish tasks, even when I lack the necessary courage or self-assurance. Whenever negative thoughts arise, I must actively retrain my mind to adopt a positive perspective on my capabilities.
I frequently find myself ensnared in obsessive overthinking regarding a particular problem or experiencing prolonged periods of anxiety and worry that can span weeks or even months. This state of mind depletes my energy, disrupts my sleep patterns, and adversely affects my mood and outlook. Concentrating solely on my problem should inadvertently reinforce the worry function within my brain. When I find myself caught in this cycle of worry or compulsive thinking, it is essential to recall the three R’s: rename, re-frame, and redirect. Rename the issue by reminding myself that worry is not a tangible reality but rather a compulsive reaction. Re-frame my thinking by focusing on positive or distracting thoughts, even if I still experience anxiety.
Some individuals accuse me of experiencing a state of melancholy or disorientation, which is merely a transient haze that subsides and dissipates after a few days. However, certain mood disorders, such as depression or severe anxieties that evolve into phobias, can be debilitating and persistent. I have contemplated cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). Indeed, numerous symptoms align with the principles of CBT. These include:
- Loss of senses — vision, balance, and hearing
- The aging brain and memory
- Issues related to love and sex
- Chronic pain
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Depress
In light of this, I must prioritize my mental well-being and refrain from self-criticism. My objective is to comprehend the concept and address the challenges discussed thoroughly. Time will reveal the outcome. One of my most effective motivation sources was Dennis Waitley’s “Psychology of Winning.” I must revisit this book and strive to improve my cognitive abilities and address detrimental behaviors.
This is crucial as I anticipate undergoing surgery in early February. My current physical condition necessitates a change. While I initially sought non-surgical alternatives, it appears that surgical intervention is the only viable option.
All you quiet dreamers, carry on!
No comments:
Post a Comment