Friday, January 16, 2015

More thoughts

Recently, I read an article by Steve Cole, Professor of Medicine and Behavioral Sciences at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), on how chronic stress, poverty, loneliness, and fear endemic in crime can alter gene activity and contribute to disease. Cole examined how psychological experiences influence immune systems and human health. He is mapping the biological pathways through which social conditions change the expression of traits or tendencies encoded in genetic material.


This article resonated with me as I analyzed my life over the past 40 years (as I am currently 52 years old, and I am uncertain if there were any issues before my teenage years). I recall instances when my father was dismissed from his job, and we were concerned about affording the necessities of life. At the age of 13, I misrepresented my age and was employed as a dishwasher to help support the family’s needs. Balancing school and work while writing about the family was a significant source of stress, and I experienced weight gain and a decline in my health.


At the age of 16, the family’s financial situation was stable, and I had few, if any, worries. I had learned to manipulate my father’s emotions, which resulted in him ceasing physical abuse of my mother and sister. I developed a strong memory and ensured that everything conformed to my father’s controlling nature. This created a sense of harmony, thereby reducing stress and fear. Consequently, I naturally became physically fit and had minimal health issues.


At the age of 20, a significant disruption occurred in my life. My sister’s relationship with an African American individual led to a severe reaction from my father, resulting in the ostracism of my sister and me within the family. This incident stemmed from my support for her relationship, which was reciprocated by her. Consequently, I experienced substantial weight gain and various health issues.


By the age of 23, I had achieved a state of contentment, with no familial ties other than my sister. I had successfully lost weight, participated in Division II tennis, and completed a 35-minute 10K run. Life appeared stable, and I was free from significant worries or stress.


Upon graduation, I embarked on a challenging journey into the external world. Securing employment proved difficult, even with a degree in hand. I subsequently married, relocated multiple times, and now faced the stresses, fears, and anxieties associated with being a husband and a father.


Reflecting on the past three instances of weight loss and improved health, it is evident that these periods coincided with periods of minimal stress and fear in my life.


The study had a profound impact on me, surpassing my initial expectations. I recognize the need to develop strategies for managing stress, fear, and anxiety. While I am uncertain about the specific knowledge I will acquire, I would appreciate any recommendations you may have regarding books, techniques, or other relevant information.


One undeniable truth is that life is a journey. For some, it is a brief one, as exemplified by my nephew Aaron Swanson, who passed away at the tender age of three. For others, it is a protracted journey, as witnessed by my grandfather, who succumbed to the ravages of time just short of the century mark. Currently, I find myself situated between these two extremes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...