Do you know that feeling of guilt when you’ve planned a workout, like riding your bike to work, but don’t follow through because your mind tells you, “You’re tired”? It’s a common sentiment we all experience when we intend to exercise but lose motivation or something interferes with our training schedule. However, some people find it challenging to overcome this guilty conscience or skip exercising for a day or two. You might have heard a friend describe someone as “addicted” to exercising or “completely dependent” on working out for several hours every day.
Parents, peers, the media, and scientific literature consistently promote the benefits of exercise for our physical and mental well-being. However, it’s rarely discussed that exercise can become unhealthy when it becomes a compulsive habit. I know individuals who would consider their lives over if they didn’t start their day with a 10K or some other form of exercise, followed by another form at lunch, and then an evening effort. I’ve been there, and my mind still believes I’m there, but my body says something entirely different.
Things are different, especially with my right knee and the pain I’ve been experiencing. I was certain that after my 29th consecutive grandma’s marathon, the pain would flare up and be excruciating. However, I was mistaken. In fact, after a few days, the entire body felt amazing. Nevertheless, I continued to allow the body to heal. After three weeks of rest, I embarked on three 50-mile bike rides within eight days, and I even included a few 36-mile rides. Surprisingly, the right knee pain is still relatively high. It doesn’t make sense to me. Is it a delayed reaction from the marathon? There are too many bike miles too soon. Regardless, it’s frustrating when the mind tells me, “You’re doing great,” while the body insists that I get crutches and stay in bed.
Could it be that I need the exercise to maintain my body’s functionality? Could I push myself too hard and then crash, leading to a binge-and-purge exercise approach? Could this be more than just an unusual exercise addiction? I’m not sure, but I’ve been without the positive energy from a regular workout for too long, and my body is literally in pain! So, could it be that I need to regroup and stop having that “I need to get that done or else” attitude? That will be challenging!
Don’t get me wrong. This is indeed a “positive addiction” to exercising, meaning that the exercise routine can easily be incorporated into my daily life and allows for commitments to family, friends, work, and personal time. However, it’s essential to be aware that there’s a fine line between a healthy commitment to exercising and a perceived obligation and compulsion to adhere to a specific training regimen.
Exercise, known for its benefits to mental and physical health, can have the opposite effect if done excessively, regardless of whether it’s recreational or professional. Hippocrates wisely noted that providing the right amount of exercise, neither too little nor too much, would ensure optimal health.
No comments:
Post a Comment