What is GMO?
Government Managing Office? No, it has something to do with the government, but not that agency. General Molly, Inc. (Stock selling for about $1.70 a share)? They are in the business of exploring, developing, and mining molybdenum properties.
Many of the foods we eat may contain ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Are Genetically Modified (GM) foods safe or harmful? While regulatory authorities have approved GM food for the market, some people are concerned about the risk of harm. If you live in Europe, avoiding GM foods is easier since laws require labeling. In the US and Canada, however, food manufacturers are not required to label whether their food is genetically modified. Is it a coincidence that obesity is less of an issue outside the US and Canada?
As someone without a scientific background, my knowledge is primarily derived from personal experience. The more I contemplate genetically modified organisms (GMOs), the more I am reminded of my grandfather. He was in excellent health and lived well into his 100s. He consumed minimal processed foods and cultivated his own produce. He raised chickens, cows, and pigs on grass, avoiding the use of chemicals. He maintained a 1-acre garden and engaged in extensive canning. Fortunately, he consumed little or no GMOs or processed foods. Remarkably, he even made his own ice cream!
Conversely, I observe that my mother’s side of the family generally relies on dining out or consuming processed foods extensively. Regrettably, neither of them lived beyond the age of 70 and experienced numerous health issues.
Since April 13, 2013, I have dedicated considerable time to monitoring the food I consume. I diligently read labels and took the initiative to research complex terms on some labels. Here are a few examples and the pertinent information I discovered:
Coloring agents, including Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6, are commonly used in various food products, such as cakes, candies, macaroni and cheese, medicines, sports drinks, sodas, pet food, and cheese. The United States permits the use of these agents due to the influence of visual perception on our eating habits. Recent studies have demonstrated that when food manufacturers opt to leave foods in their natural, often beige-like color, rather than using chemical agents for coloring, individuals perceive the food as bland and consume less of it, even when the recipe remains unchanged.
Furthermore, coloring agents derived from coal tar are also employed for sealing and coating products to preserve and protect the shine of industrial floors, as well as in head lice shampoos to eliminate the small insects. Interestingly, these coloring agents are also ingested.
We also have Olestra (also known as Olean). I never knew this nut was the most common ingredient in fat-free potato chips. The US allows this because Procter & Gamble Co. spent a quarter of a century and half a billion dollars to create “light” chips that are supposedly healthier. Is this just lobbyist work? They might need another half a billion dollars to figure out how to deal with the embarrassing bathroom side effects (including oily anal leakage) that come with consuming these products.
The known health hazard is that fat substitutes appear to cause a dramatic depletion of fat-soluble vitamins and essential micronutrients, robbing us of vital nutrients. The U.K. and Canada have banned it.
I was surprised to learn about Bronated vegetable oil (also known as BVO). It’s found in sports drinks and citrus-flavored sodas. The US allows this because it acts as an emulsifier, preventing the flavoring from separating and floating to the surface of beverages. However, it’s a health hazard because it competes with iodine for receptor sites in the body. Elevated levels of BVO may lead to thyroid issues, such as hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease, and cancer. That’s not all. BVO’s main ingredient, bromine, is a poisonous chemical considered both corrosive and toxic. It’s been linked to significant organ system damage, birth defects, growth problems, schizophrenia, and hearing loss, which explains why it’s been banned in more than 100 countries.
In the past, I believed that potassium was always beneficial on food labels. However, I recently discovered that potassium bromate (also known as brominated flour) is a common ingredient in various food products, including rolls, wraps, flatbreads, bread crumbs, and bagel chips. The United States permits the use of this flour-bulking agent to enhance dough strength, thereby reducing baking time and lowering production costs. However, I am concerned about the potential health risks associated with this additive.
Potassium bromate is manufactured using the same toxic chemical found in brominated vegetable oil (BVO). This additive has been linked to kidney and nervous system disorders, as well as gastrointestinal discomfort.
I had to verify the presence of azodicarbonamide twice. This chemical is commonly used in breads, frozen dinners, boxed pasta mixes, and packaged baked goods. While most countries allow flour to whiten naturally over a week, American food processors prefer to use azodicarbonamide to bleach the flour immediately. I read that this chemical is highly harmful, and banning it in Singapore is insufficient. In Singapore, individuals found guilty of using azodicarbonamide can face up to 15 years in prison and be fined nearly half a million dollars. This chemical is primarily used in foamed plastics, such as yoga mats and sneaker soles, and has been linked to an increased risk of asthma.
There are many more additives that raise concerns. This has made me reconsider the food I purchase and the preservatives that contribute to the accumulation of unhealthy substances in my body. Do you take the time to read food labels?
No comments:
Post a Comment