
A poster I created for my wall is displayed to the right. I am seeking assistance in locating it and inquiring about the possibility of a 1985 medal.
UPDATE: The race conditions were exceptionally challenging, resulting in 37 hospitalizations and requiring medical attention for 7% of the participants.
In detail, I have successfully completed my 25th consecutive year at Grandma’s Marathon. The determination behind this achievement remains a subject of ongoing reflection. This year’s race was characterized by extreme heat, which posed significant obstacles. Despite the hardships, I managed to overcome them and achieve my goal.
Upon crossing the finish line, I experienced an overwhelming emotional response, shedding tears on numerous occasions. My emotional state was so intense that it may have appeared unusual to others. Upon meeting Shelley at the finish, I embraced and wept together, symbolizing the culmination of my journey.
To provide a concise summary, I would like to reflect on the events of 1985, my inaugural participation in Grandma’s Marathon. During that year, I set a resolute goal of completing 25 consecutive marathons.
- I could not find a place to stay, so I stayed at the Best Western in Hinkley.
- Michael Jordan (Basketball) was a rookie in the NBA!!!!
- New Coke/Old Coke fiasco
- We celebrated the Dow Jones breaking 1,500!
- VH1 started
- Wade Wilson replaced Tommy Kramer as Viking quarterback.
- Dukes of Hazard was canceled - Yes, I watched it
- Billy Joel married Christy Brinkley - I had a crush on her
- But Moonlighting started - I always liked Cybill Shepherd
- This is the first time I heard Al Jarreau
- This is also MacGyver's first year - I loved that show as well
- I purchased my first computer – A Macintosh 512K – I PAID $2,100 OUCH!
In Between
- I lived in 4 states (North Dakota, Minnesota, Wyoming, Illinois)
- Went through 5 US Presidents (Ronald Reagan, George Herbert Walker Bush, William Clinton, George Walker Bush, Barack Obama)
- Three so-called stock market crashes
- Nine Jobs - From a cook, waiter, and manufacturer to my current job as a City Planner
- Lived in 12 different homes
- Went through 10 cars – Including ex-wife and son's cars Chevy Malibu, Ford Mustang, Honda 600 Sedan, Chevy Station Wagon, Dodge Daytona, Mitsubishi Expo, Ford Fiesta, Kia Sephia, Mazda Millennia, VW Passat.
- Went through 5 girlfriends and one wife
- Son was born, raised him - he is now 20
- A couple finishes in the 3:20's
- A couple of 6-hour finishes, many times in-between
Now for the report. I have been so obsessed with the race. I had worked hard for 24 years and did not want to lose the goal in the last race. I left Minneapolis, and it was an easy drive. We arrived at the expo at 8:30, and I picked up my number. Bittersweet, as it was my last time.
When we left the expo, we saw the vendor making unique racing bibs. See the picture to the right for what I purchased. I had to have it
We took a stroll and then headed to the expo to enjoy the food I packed and check my bag for the morning. Everything seemed promising. We parked our car in the DECC parking lot and settled in for a cozy nap. Things were looking great! I woke up at 4:30 AM, feeling refreshed with a temperature of 62 degrees. As I slept in the car, I was treated to a breathtaking view of the moon over the nearby building. It was absolutely magical! And then, I got up and started my day.
I went to the bathroom three times, and I was super nervous. As I was getting ready, I remembered that I had to take my number. Then, at 5:15 AM, my biggest supporter asked, “What about your chip?” We had no idea what to do! Two of us looked everywhere, but it was nowhere to be found. I quickly realized that I might have left it on the table when we ate Friday night! What a goofball! I ran all over trying to get into the DECC, but no one could help me. At 5:40 AM, I returned to the car, feeling all nervous and stressed. I dumped my bag onto the asphalt parking lot and looked down, and there it was! Two of us went through that bag and missed it. I was about to have a full-on breakdown. But luckily, I found it! I was so relieved. I made it to the buses at 5:50 AM, 10 minutes to spare. This was the first time ever that I didn’t have a school bus! Instead, I had a plush tour bus. Things were looking up!
The ride could not have been more uneventful. I got to the start, went to the biffs, and my stomach was settled. I packed toilet paper in my bag anyway. But the sun was hot. The forecast was 80 degrees for the day, and at 7 AM, the temperature was 72 degrees. I knew that I needed to run smart, not fast.
I followed my heart rate monitor and was doing great, getting lots of compliments on my streak. But then, I heard a voice, “Are you Londell from Chippewa?” It was Janine Knutson, Carl Gammon’s friend. She looked amazing! I managed to get a picture of her. Thanks to Mike, I brought a camera. Soon after, there was Greg Allen. Greg is on #26 consecutive Grandma’s, which is incredible! He knows what it’s like to make it through so many years, both good and bad.
I maintained a heart rate between 120 and 135 until I reached about 15 miles. For instance, a few years ago, my heart rate surged above 155 at Afton, and I couldn’t bring it down. I was aware that the heat was taking its toll. Additionally, I knew that running 15-minute miles would enable me to complete the run in less than 6 hours. Consequently, I decided to walk, consume ice, and apply ice to my body. After 20 minutes, I could initiate a walk/run pattern, alternating between walking for 3 minutes and running for 6 minutes. During this journey, I encountered Katie Altrichter from Bloomington, Illinois. She was in pain, and I felt compelled to offer her my support. We mutually assisted each other throughout the remaining part of the run. She is certain that I helped her, but if she were aware of my assistance, she would also be significantly helping me. It’s remarkable how supportive running buddies can make the experience more enjoyable!
This walk/run plan, coupled with Katie’s companionship, managed to keep my pace below the 15-minute mile mark until mile 23.5. However, I began to experience cramps, and Katie was visibly exhausted. Consequently, we decided to walk more as permitted and finish the run, which we successfully accomplished. Shortly after reaching mile 24, I received a much-needed boost. Wayne arrived and prepared to join me for the rest of the walk. This was a significant lift for me, and I realized that I was close enough to continue running.
![]() |
| Katie in purple, me and Wayne on the left |
I witnessed a chaotic scene on the side of the road, where numerous individuals were being treated for what I presumed were heat-related ailments. The sight of more ambulances than I had ever encountered in my 25 years was overwhelming, and people seemed to be succumbing to the heat at an alarming rate. It was a war zone, far from the peaceful end I had envisioned for my grandmother’s passing. However, if you truly believe you can maintain a 25-year streak of uninterrupted running, you must be prepared for any eventuality.
Fortunately, I had anticipated such a scenario. This is an emotionally charged time, and I find myself shedding tears as I write this. Now, it is time to rest and seek out the next challenge that awaits me. Whatever that may be! But first, I must prioritize my knee’s recovery and bask in the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal I had set so long ago. What a rewarding feeling!
Thanks to all who supported my effort. It meant more than you can imagine!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.





No comments:
Post a Comment