Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Slow recovery and weight out of control

Maybe I’m out of shape because I ran Grandma’s Marathon two weeks ago and started running three days later. Afton’s hills were more challenging than I thought. My quads are still burning, but I have no knee pain. Buck Hill is closed, which is disappointing since I was looking forward to 5-6 weeks of hills once a week. I’ll consider alternatives like RTA’s Pleasant Hill, driving to Afton (almost 60 miles round trip), or Hyland (I await verification that running is okay).

I plan a day trip to run some segments of the ST 100 trail. I’d love to make Julie Berg’s beta, but I’m committed that weekend. I thought about leaving Minneapolis on Friday after work, running the trail for 12-14 hours, and returning. A friend and my son would love to camp and drive. I invite you to join a low-budget all-nighter and commute. Who knows, my idea might work?

I have four consecutive tennis weekends, totaling 34 hours working each weekend. This makes training both challenging and enjoyable, and financially beneficial. Regarding my weight, I use a top-of-the-line digital scale to compare it with the scale at the physician’s office. It seems consistent, but there are times when it doesn’t make sense. In the past months, my weight has fluctuated.

For instance, on Saturday, I went swimming, showered, got ready for bed, and stepped on the scale. I was shocked to see a 245-pound weight, representing a 13-pound loss over the past few months. I went to bed without drinking anything and woke up after a solid 7 hours. When I rechecked the scale, it read 251.7 pounds, indicating a gain of 6.7 pounds.

This isn’t the first time this has happened. Sometimes I stay the same, sometimes I lose 2-3 pounds, and sometimes I gain 3-5 pounds. I’ve tested this by weighing myself 3-5 times before bed and waking up with the same reading each time.

My training has improved. Recovery from Afton took longer than expected. I wonder if I’m the only one who thinks Afton is more challenging than Superior. I have more of a challenge at Afton than the Superior Trail, but I think I’m in the minority. My knee feels okay, with a little twinge here or there, but no pain. I may battle ST 100 again, but I’m considering waiting another week to make a decision.

My son has returned home after being away for nearly three weeks. After a year of campus life, he was responsible for completing all the tasks that our parents had assigned him. Notably, he required dental attention. He has acquired three fillings (he had only had one previously, but now has three in one year), and he has undergone wisdom tooth extraction, which he will need to have done soon.

I recall my own experience with wisdom tooth extraction under local anesthesia. I had minimal discomfort and even ran that afternoon. However, my son’s procedure involved significant work, and he is currently experiencing pain. The swelling in his face is evident, and he appears in considerable distress. We are entering the third day of his recovery, and his pain persists. This is particularly challenging for a very active 19-year-old. Nevertheless, I am confident that he will make a full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...