I’ve been excited all week about my son’s visit. He returned from his Freshman year at the Colorado School of Mines in early May and spent a few days. He left for Germany the following year to attend an immersion course. He returned last Monday night, having matured well. He can insult me in German, and I won’t know. Between my weight gain and a killer week at work, I wondered how I’d do this year.
I couldn’t sleep Friday night due to nerves and fireworks. I woke up at 4:00 AM and had no issues until the starting gun sounded. The race could’ve been more uneventful. I aimed to keep my heart rate at 120 BPM for the first half and 140 BPM for the second. I was happy to see Philip again at the start. He’s been working hard since the Superior 100. Last year, I went faster and caught him at the end. This year, I saw him on the downward slope at mile 23. He was moving well, but at 250 pounds, I tend to give up on the downhills.
I started with Les, running about 10 miles together. Two weeks earlier, at Grandma’s, Karen Gall passed me early in the race. She’s consistent and will always succeed. After the first loop river run, Les looked strong, and I saw him at the finish. I came into the half in 3 hours 38 minutes, 23 minutes slower than last year.
I met a young woman from Roseville who runs with Lynn Gannon. We ran to the first aid station, but she was gone. She looked strong, and running with her was enjoyable. I met several people and continued, not worrying about the time, just monitoring my heart rate. I drank 20-30 ounces of fluids an hour, more than usual, but I was sweating more.
Despite feeling slow, I passed five people in the last 10 miles. My knee was good. I tumbled on the snow show track, but it wasn’t an earthquake; I fell hard and rolled. My heart rate dropped, and I kept going. I had an indifferent run, as my old college professor said, “There are days I feel like a wart on a fat man’s butt.” I was hanging in there, unnoticed and unimportant.
I was surprised at the finish. I ran 3 minutes faster than last year, completing the second loop 25 minutes ahead of schedule. People thought the heat was a more significant factor the previous year, but it was also warm this year. I didn’t recall sweating as much last year as this year. I was drenched, but I consumed a lot of fluid. I took one S-Cap at mile 10 and two more at mile 20.
After the race, I had the chance to chat with Wayne Nelson, who bravely completed the 25 K. I also saw Philip Gary Smith cross the finish line just under the 8-hour mark. It was a pleasure meeting many people, including Mike (I think that’s his name?), a fellow trail mix aid station worker who also conquered the 50K. He’s got some impressive results in Chippewa and did exceptionally well here. Congrats, Philip! There was also Karen’s friend from Norway, who finished the race. We were expecting a Norwegian expletive, but I think he was too exhausted to use one. I’m sure I missed a few other amazing runners.
This race is truly exceptional because of its dedicated Director and the incredible core of race volunteers. Without the countless hours these folks invest, this wouldn’t be the incredible event it is. I can’t express my gratitude enough for allowing so many to participate in such a fantastic experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment