Due to concerns about disturbing Jordan during the night, I had great difficulty sleeping. I am cautious and trying to avoid a potential reason for him to attribute any issues to my sleep disruptions. I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to use the restroom and stayed in bed quietly until 5:15 a.m., when I decided to go to the lobby. Breakfast was available at 6:00 a.m., and Jordan joined me at 6:15 a.m. He had previously planned to depart at approximately 6:45 a.m. and commence his cycling journey at 7:00 a.m.
The plan is to transport him to the southern terminus of the Greenbriar Trail. The morning was characterized by fog and extremely low visibility, with instances where it dropped below 100 feet. The drive was also challenging due to the road’s narrowness, effectively reducing it to a single lane. This type of road is prevalent among secondary roads traversing the region.
 | | Narrow Road |
|  | | All set to ride! |
|
At 7:10 a.m., he commenced his ride. I would return to the hotel, finish packing, and meet him at mile 24.5, the Renick, West Virginia, trailhead. This trailhead was easy to spot, and I arrived about 40 minutes before his expected arrival. Upon his emergence from the fog, he appeared visibly fatigued. The fog and damp air rendered the gravel trail challenging to navigate. He replaced a water bottle, removed his arm warmers, and handed me the 360 camera. The fog caused persistent condensation on the lens, compromising its quality. Additionally, it would enable me to charge the camera until our next meeting point. I had planned to meet him at mile 29.6, the Horrock trailhead.
 | | Pictures never depict fog correctly |
|  | | Arriving in Renick, WV - 24 miles complete |
|
The Horrock trailhead was only a few miles away, but the roads were very narrow and in poor condition. Aside from a steep downhill section, the road was gravel and had very deep potholes. It was challenging to maintain a speed of 10 MPH. Fortunately, I arrived with only a few minutes to spare.
As the fog began to dissipate, he grabbed the camera and decided to have a snack before continuing his journey. He appeared fatigued, having averaged over 15 MPH, and the terrain was all slightly uphill. I would not see him again until 54 miles, in Marlington, West Virginia.
The drive to Marlington exceeded my expectations. I endeavored to be adequately prepared for his arrival. Upon my arrival, I found a half-marathon and a marathon underway on the trail. I was apprehensive the trail would be closed, but when I inquired with an official, she confirmed it was accessible. I rode back along the trail to rendezvous with Jordan. Approximately a mile down the trail, I encountered him, who told me he had found the half-marathoners, and most of them posed no significant challenge. However, a few headphone-wearing runners appeared oblivious to his approach.
 | | Road to Horrock |
|  | | The tunnel |
|
The plan was for him to refuel in the car before we rode together to the end of the trail, about 25 miles away. We proceeded, and I could discern a slight incline. I exerted considerable effort to maintain his pace of 15-plus MPH. After about 8 miles, we came to a tunnel. I had my light off, so I did my best to see the ground and followed Jordan through. It was brief and went smoothly.
The cycling journey offered varied terrain, with alternating smooth and uneven gravel sections. Approximately 17 miles into the ride, we encountered a group of three bicyclists who appeared to be riding solely with their throttle. Their unawareness of our presence made it hard to pass them. Once we had passed them, they continued to follow us for the rest of the journey. This situation instilled a sense of unease within me. As we neared the end of the ride, I informed Jordan that I intended to turn back. I was relieved when the group of bicyclists passed me and departed. However, I later realized I was experiencing a water shortage, which raised serious concerns. I resolved to locate water sources on the return trip.
About eight miles into the return trip, I discovered water. With three miles remaining, Jordan suggested I proceed to prepare the aid so he could resume his ride promptly. Within seconds of taking off, I heard Jordan yell. As I turned around, I noticed his rear tire was deflated. Our concerns about insufficient fluid in the tubeless tire were well-founded. I swiftly returned to the car to retrieve the pump while Jordan continued walking. I was apprehensive as my battery was running low. Consequently, I promptly acquired the pump and his sandals and met him with two miles to go. While inflating the tire, I noticed the fluid level was insufficient. However, there was enough to let him ride for about three-quarters of a mile before the tire deflated again. We repeated this process until he reached the car.
Regrettably, he concluded his journey at 100.6 miles in 6 hours and 16 minutes, averaging 15.9 MPH. While I sympathized with his exhaustion, I was relieved we wouldn't have to drive home in the dark. Consequently, we packed up and embarked on our return journey. During this time, we made three stops to replenish the tire on the platform rack, as I was apprehensive about potential rim damage.
 |
| Jordan's ride topography |
About halfway back, my fatigue and dry eyes had me seeing double, so Jordan took over. That was good, as I am not sure I would have made it! We arrived home at 7:45 p.m., exhausted. He needed to pack for work travel early tomorrow, so I unpacked and cleaned up the mess before calling it a night.
Today was a great experience with my son! I will cherish these and hope that as he ages, he will cherish them as well.
Carry on my friends, carry on!
No comments:
Post a Comment