Sunday, September 7, 2025

Bison, Breakfast and Play

 Everyone was up early for a day that was shaping up to be quite chaotic. Shelley had a rough night and feels exhausted. Turns out, Maeve’s soccer game was canceled because of the rain. It poured all night with thunder and lightning almost nonstop. They need the rain, but a lot of it just ran off into the storm sewers instead of seeping in.

By 7:45 AM, we were all packed into two cars and headed to BBB (Big Bad Breakfast). I initially wanted to visit the Loveless Cafe, but the drive was too long for the hungry grandchildren. We arrived and were happy there was no wait. They seated us at a table next to the kitchen, which was perfect if the children became loud.  


BBB had an excellent selection, and we all found something we really liked. We went for the cinnamon rolls, which are a favorite among us. They were out of this world—almost like a half-biscuit with cream cheese frosting. The texture was just right, and the flavor was amazing. After breakfast, we headed back to Allison’s, but the rain had us stuck inside. I was tired and thankful Jack grounded me to my room to rest before the NDSU Football game.

At noon, we loaded up Vera and Faye in the car and set off for Nissan Stadium. As we hit the road, I realized we'd arrive around 12:50 PM, just in time for the 1:30 PM game. As we drove past Ravenbrook High School, where the kids would go if they lived in the area, I decided to take a look around and kill some time. The mascot isn't actually the Ravens, but the Raptors. The campus and athletic facilities are awe-inspiring, surpassing those of many small colleges I've visited. It made Apple Valley and Bloomington appear outdated in comparison.

After the school tour, we were traveling, and I took the wrong turn—not once but twice. As a result, we arrived at the parking lot at 1:00 PM. With the walk, getting concessions, and finding our seats, we were only 15 minutes before kickoff. The concession prices were similar to those at a professional game: popcorn was $13, soda (small $7 and large $10), and small Sour Patch Kids for each child were $6. Before we knew it, we had spent more than the price of the game ticket. Still, it was worth it to see the girls happy!!

At the beginning of the game, it was great; the girls were really getting into the crowd activities. They were waving their fingers at the kickoff and screaming 'Whooooop' whenever the ball was kicked. NDSU was clearly a step above Tennessee State. It wasn't until the third quarter, against the second string, that Tennessee State managed a first down, and NDSU was already leading 45-0. By the fourth quarter, NDSU had brought in its backup players, and both teams had gone three and out for the past eight minutes of the third quarter, so we left. That was a good call, as we were able to get back in time to play with the kids in daylight.

Kids were out on the street with scooters and electric toys, showing Grammy their skills. I took some time to figure out how to operate the Potensic Atom 2 drone Jordan gave me. As I grow older, electronics are becoming increasingly difficult for me to understand. I did manage to get it off the ground, but I kept thinking I might crash into something. I really wish it had obstacle avoidance, but that's an extra cost I don't need for my purposes. 

Getting the kids together for dinner was tough. Jack ran out the back, and when Shelley tried to catch him, he jumped on the pool cover and ran to the middle, knowing Shelley couldn't reach him. After Shelley used a deafening and firm tone, Jack finally agreed to listen. Faye came into the house and said, “I never heard Grammy yell so loud before.”  It was a tense moment.

When Eric and Allison returned, they started a fire, and the kids drew and wrote notes. They were all very well-behaved! I was exhausted and had a long drive ahead of me the next day, so I went to bed at 8:30 PM. Shelley kept playing, and it was after 10 PM when she finally went to bed.

On Sunday, we drove home again. The trip took 13.5 hours with no weather issues. It’s good to be back, but I'll be leaving on Friday for six weeks. Shelley will join me in mid-October.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...