We woke up early to prepare for a hike at Twin Falls, Witts Springs, Arkansas. Leslie, Taylor, and I packed while Shelley and the kids played. The warm day made the 4/10-mile hike the limit. We left around noon, driving 90 minutes to the park. The last two miles were on a narrow gravel road, including a washboard downhill section. We were glad we used our four-wheel-drive vehicles.
When we finally got to the waterfall, wow, it was absolutely breathtaking! But, sadly, there wasn’t a spot to have a picnic, so we just settled wherever we could and soaked up the fantastic view. Taylor Deacon Sawyer and I even hiked up to the top of the falls, and guess what? I was shocked to discover that a tiny stream created the falls! The larger stream had completely dried up! It was a bit of a mystery since it had been pouring rain around there.

After an hour and 15 minutes, we decided to head back. We planned to stop for pizza in a town around 5 o’clock. Unfortunately, non-four-wheel-drive vehicles got stuck on a mogul hill while going up. It took 45 minutes to clear them and start our journey. The hill was tough and had loose gravel, and I understand why only four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended for that road.
We visited
Jasper Pizza Company in Jasper, Arkansas, for dinner. They had run out of pizza dough and only one pizza was left, which wasn’t enough for seven people. Shelley and Sawyer went to the bathroom and returned to inform her they had miscounted and had three pizza doughs left. We bought the three pizzas, which were okay but not the best. It was a good experience at a small, local restaurant, but I wouldn’t seek it out as an option.
We got home around 7 o'clock, and everyone was worn out. We decided it was best to call it an early night since the kids had school the next day, and Shelley and I planned to go on a sightseeing trip with Leslie.
We were up by 7 o'clock because the kids needed to get to school on Monday. We took the kids to school while Taylor and I stayed back. Taylor worked, and I focused on the images I captured over the weekend. Once they returned around 9 o'clock, Shelley, Leslie, and I headed to War Eagle Mill. It's a unique site and worth the trip, but you only need to see it once.
After returning from the mill, we packed bicycles and snacks, picked up the kids from school, and headed to Gully Park for biking and play. Later, we went to City Park Restaurant which had a unique setting with a large pavilion, restaurant, and tables. Upon arrival, patrons scanned a QR code to access the menu, start a tab, and place orders. Efficiently managed by a staff member, the restaurant allowed patrons to keep tabs open and order throughout the meal, closing them when ready to leave. This innovative approach reduced labor costs and enabled phased ordering.
Following dinner, we proceeded home, where I meticulously packed our belongings for the morning departure. We are all experiencing fatigue after three consecutive days of festivities and shared enjoyment. Earlier in the day, I had mentioned that Jordan’s childhood film was “Rock Doodle,” prompting them to start watching it. At 8:30 PM, approximately 20 minutes remained in the movie, and they deemed it prudent for the children to retire to bed. Consequently, we retired to our accommodations, obtained a restful night’s sleep, and prepared to embark on our return journey on Monday.
We’re up bright and early at 6 o’clock, and I’m busy packing the car while the kids get ready for school. By 7:30, they’re off to school, and Shelley and I head home. It’s a pretty long drive—about 10 hours—but the weather’s been so lovely, I don’t think we’ll have any trouble. We arrive home around 5 PM, and we’re both extremely tired after unloading the car and attending to a few things that needed our attention while we were away. We’ve got to hit the hay! It’s the end of Shelley’s first retirement vacation, and I’m not sure if she’s ready for another one anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment