Thursday, April 10, 2025

A few days away, I needed that!

Given that Jordan and Kira are currently home and I am responsible for caring for the dog over the weekend, a brief excursion could provide a refreshing respite from my customary routine. I departed Cary on Tuesday at 10:00 AM and embarked on a journey to Hanging Rock State Park. Throughout the day, I engaged in hiking and photography activities within the park before subsequently lodging at a hotel in Mount Airy, North Carolina.

Since I arrived in Mount Airy before sunset, I walked downtown to explore the sights. Gaining fame as the birthplace of actor Andy Griffith and the supposed inspiration for the fictional town of Mayberry in the "Andy Griffith Show," Mount Airy has capitalized on its connection to the series. It hosts annual events like Mayberry Days and attractions such as Floyd's Barber Shop and the Andy Griffith Museum. The University of Greensboro estimated that the local impact of these attractions brings in about $5 million each year.


Floyd's is still open.

Wally's Service

I was exhausted from all the walking and climbing, and even though the Comfort Inn, Mount Airy had a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE bed, I was able to get some sleep. The hotel was also very dated and not in the best location. I woke up at 6:30 AM and tried to get much-needed rest without any success. I decided to get breakfast and head out for more sightseeing.


After breakfast, I went to HB Rowe Environmental Parkwhich was established in 2010. It was a letdown compared to what I expected from their website. It's a nice place for a walk, but it’s pretty similar to most parks in larger cities. After a quick walk, I hit the road to Pilot Mountain.


Pilot Mountain State Park was a fantastic place to visit. It offers stunning views and easy trails. Spending half a day there and having a nice picnic would be simple. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.


After Pilot Mountain, Bethabara Historic Park in Winston-Salem, NC, was the next stop. This was another letdown after reading the website. After less than 20 minutes, I headed to the Tanger Family Bicentennial Garden and the Bog Garden at Benjamin Park in Greensboro, NC. This area is perfect for a full day of leisurely strolling, lunch, and relaxation. It is well-maintained and offers a wide variety of activities and peaceful spots. However, I visited during off-peak hours on a Wednesday. I assume weekends are overcrowded and might take away much of the tranquility I enjoyed. Here are some images to give a sense of the beauty. 


By the time I finished walking the Bog, it was time to head to Chapel Hill, where I was going to grab dinner at Time Out Restaurant before heading to the Eastern Carolina vs. the University of North Carolina softball game. It was a phenomenal game that went 9 innings, with NC beating ECU 6 to 5.


It was a great two days!  Carry on my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...