Monday, January 6, 2025

Good start

Since my two-month trip to Tennessee and the Carolinas, I have been doing intense workouts every other day. I avoid daily workouts as I get older because rest is essential. In December, I biked a total of 106 miles. The actual distance was higher, but I couldn't automatically load miles from three club workouts into Strava. I rode on the past three days, with an easy ride off day with Shelley.

My mother's memory remains stable, but she is becoming more demanding. Visiting her can be depressing because it reminds me that I might encounter similar issues in the future. This realization helps me stay mentally focused on my health and reduces the risk of future problems. Eating well and exercising intensely benefit my aging body.

I had some fun with Mom and the photo booth app on the iPad. Images below.

 

After traveling for 61 of the past 75 days, I feel exhausted. However, being at home during winter while retired isn't very enjoyable. I become aware of all the chores I should undertake, but tend to avoid them. These include minor house repairs and decluttering six decades of belongings—including items in the pantry and garage—that require deep cleaning and sorting.


Over the New Year, I began reflecting on where life might have gone off course. My relationship with Christopher has faded to nothing. I reached out to him, but like before, he stressed that we should keep in touch; I never heard from him again. I wonder if I would have fought harder for other relationships if those individuals had faced their challenges. I regret not expressing myself when I had the chance, and I also regret what I said when I did. As I grow older, my thoughts about life become more intense. Thankfully, I can manage and understand my emotions better, which helps me better grasp why older adults have higher suicide rates.


I recently learned that my boss is retiring at the end of the month. Despite being only 55, I was told after my departure that all the issues I had managed for decades were considered his problem now, and he found them overwhelming. He has always disliked conflict and complexity, which I had no trouble handling. Being more intelligent than I am, we worked well together. It’s difficult to accept that a leading organization has been dysfunctional for over five years, resulting in high staff turnover. By the start of this year, nearly 40 percent of employees had less than two years of experience. It’s truly a sad situation.

I'm gradually learning the new Zikon Z7iii.  There are fundamental similarities; however, setting precise parameters for a shot takes time to feel natural. I have the opportunity to go out for practice, but the temperatures are below zero!

Hope the new year has been good for you!  Carry on my Friends, Carry On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...