Thursday, February 8, 2024

I am officially tired - oops RETIRED

On February 2, 2024, I retired from the City of Bloomington after serving several years in a prison-like environment. I choose Groundhog Day, as with the movie, this will be a great day I live over and over! I felt liberated from the oppressive workplace. The lack of leadership and a strong hierarchy created a miserable atmosphere. My division had 70% of its employees with three years or fewer of tenure, while another division had 80% with at least two years of tenure. This stark contrast to the 17-year average tenure when I started and the 15-year tenure before King Jamie took over as City Manager was concerning. He boasted about the benefits of new blood and ideas, but his actions and treatment of employees contradicted his words.

When I turned in my badge and computer, the director acknowledged my departure. She was unhappy because we had filed a formal complaint last summer about her inappropriate actions and the unjust treatment of employees. In January, she resigned, but she was allowed to stay until March 15 to receive her pension. She operated the division like a high school, with groups: her pets, those she disliked, and those she ignored, as if they were students.

I rode a bicycle to work!   a chilly February morning. Despite the unusual weather, I arrived around 10 a.m. and completed minor tasks with coworkers. We had lunch at a breakfast-only Hot Plate restaurant. Afterward, I had an exit interview, a routine procedure to discuss workplace issues. I’m relieved to share some information about the toxic environment before I leave.

After the interview, I rode my bicycle home. A coworker recorded the event, and I recorded my departure from the city limits. The video is available at https://youtu.be/PhQ5XU4VP3U?si=206xOC01rM-AewAM.


On February 5, 2024, I hosted a retirement party with an RSVP-only invitation. Many were surprised by my happiness, which I attribute to retirement. I feel more like paroled than retired.


My first days have been lovely. No alarm clocks, and I’m free to do whatever I want. I’m relaxing and getting my body back into a stress-free environment after the past five years of hell.


While relaxing and reading this morning, I saw a hilarious Super Bowl ticket offer.


A good friend of mine has 2 tickets for the 2024 Super Bowl, 50 yrd line box seats. He paid $5,000 each, he didn't realize last year when he bought them, it was going to be on the same day as his wedding. If you're interested, he's looking for someone to take his place. It's at St. Michaels Church, at 3pm. The bride's name is Sheila she's 5'4", about 115 lbs, good cook too. She'll be the one in the white dress. Copy & paste to keep the laughs coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...