It’s almost time! I’m just one week away from my eagerly anticipated retirement. Since setting my sights on this date in 2019, I’ve diligently saved, sacrificed vacations, and created retirement plans.
Initially, I planned to retire in September to coincide with my birthday or in May to mark my 30th anniversary. However, the toxic work environment began to affect my health, making it clear that I couldn’t continue. I initially planned to retire last fall, but the three-month delay offered a $20,000 advantage. So, I chose Groundhog Day 2024 and gave a 7-month notice on February 2, 2024. Unlike Bill Murray in the movie, I’ll wake up to total freedom from the toxic culture, mandates, deadlines, and responsibilities.
Is it a good choice? Humans often struggle to make the right choice, but we must make it and live with the consequences. I reviewed the numbers and concluded that decreasing the risk of dying rich at 70, yet broke at 92, was an easy decision. Many friends who waited until the late 60s to retire passed just past 70. One fellow employee died before he retired, and another the day he was to retire.
The best-made plans often require adjustments. Initially, I planned a three-week road trip starting the day after retirement, then two weeks later, and finally a late-March departure. However, that became problematic, so I moved it to mid-February. Even that is questionable as I prepare this post. Regardless, I’m excited to spend more time with my family, take up new hobbies, and explore the world at my own pace.
It doesn’t matter. In 8 days, I’ll have an adjustable schedule with a few non-flexible demands. Leaving that toxic environment will improve my health. I’m already feeling better as my responsibilities decrease during the transition.
A few months ago, I decided to wait until retirement to shave or cut my hair. I may stay longer since I don’t have to look professional. As you can see, I fit the part of a grumpy old mountain man well.
No comments:
Post a Comment