Sunday, December 31, 2023

Year in review - short version

 "Look at my abundance" – Karen Gibbs – RIP - August 7, 1977 (age 21)

Last family photo
As we age, many individuals, including myself, find themselves revisiting the importance of cherishing life. Life is precious, yet it is often overlooked. I have frequently used the phrase “life is precious” to prepare for significant life changes this year.

My 2023 began with the realization that my current job was detrimental to my health. The stress accumulated over the past five years has taken a significant toll on my well-being. The first 25 years were remarkable, characterized by exceptional leadership. However, now, individuals are advised to avoid the workplace. In my division, 80% (10 employees) have not been in their positions for over 18 months. Three replacements were hired for individuals who resigned after a few months, and more departures may occur soon. The organization has become toxic.

RIP my pal, Porter
In October, my physician issued a firm warning that if I wish to continue living, substantial changes are necessary. Medicine and routine blood infusions are merely temporary solutions. The passing of my father and my beloved 8-year-old Golden Retriever compounded this warning. Additionally, several younger friends, including Becky Schindler, who made my decision to retire early a necessity rather than a choice, have also passed away. I hired Becky 30 years ago and collaborated with her throughout her entire career. Tragically, she passed away in 2023 at the age of 50. I contemplated whether I should continue working to avoid financial concerns related to retirement or resign early with uncertain finances.

My financial advisor predicts that at the age of 92, I would be financially destitute if I adhered to my planned retirement lifestyle. This includes spending 35% more than my current expenses, accounting for inflation. Being financially destitute at the age of 92 is preferable to being financially affluent and dead at the age of 70. Consequently, I submitted my six-month notice in July, announcing my retirement on February 2, 2024, at the age of 61 1/2. I selected this date because I had previously expressed my desire for February 4, 2024 (2424), but that date fell on a Sunday. Therefore, I opted for Friday, February 2, which coincidentally coincides with Groundhog Day.

In August, I also resolved to refrain from cutting my hair or shaving until my retirement. I adopted a similar approach during the COVID-19 pandemic, as my son Chris aptly compared it. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this decision. My son certainly possesses a unique sense of humor.

Let me give you a quick family update, starting with Chris. Just so you know, I’ll always call him Chris, even though he insists it’s Topher! His full name is Christopher, and I really like the first half, while he’s partial to the second. It’s like a glass half full or half empty, all depending on who you ask! But hey, if you’re not sure, the glass is full, half water and half air, right? I mean, if he were to use only a portion of his real name, let's call him Stop!
Jacob Londell Williams

Chris had quite the journey for a few years. In 2022, my only grandson, Jake, passed away. He was born with some conditions that they knew would be tough, but he lived longer than they ever imagined. Sometimes, I thought Jake was Chris’s rock, giving him purpose and direction. Maybe some of my genes rubbed off on him, because we never gave up! Jake lived longer than we thought, and Chris never stopped being his dad. After Jake’s passing, Chris started a new chapter, including getting engaged. He moved to Salem, Massachusetts, with his fiancée in May 2023. Luckily, he was able to keep his job with US Back. A secure job is super important, you know? He always loved Massachusetts and lighthouses. It was good for him to leave Fargo, where so much of his life revolved around Jake. We try to stay in touch when we can. I call Chris my “Cats in the Cradle” child. If you know the song, you’ll get what I mean.

Jordan and Kira, who live in Cary, North Carolina, with their adorable Australian Shepherd, LuLu, are doing well! Kira’s holding a neighbor’s kid in the photo—not hers! They thought I needed a granddog, so I felt like I had a reason to visit. Plus, I love taking care of LuLu. They both had to travel for work. Kira’s on the road at least once every two months, but Jordan’s been traveling more since COVID-19 stopped travel. Now, it’s all international, mainly Germany, Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.

Jordan’s a big fan of biking! He rode over 13,000 miles in 2022. In March 2023, he had a really bad bicycle accident. His right shoulder was shattered, and he had bone fragments close to blood vessels that could have been fatal. After lots of surgeries and rehab, he got back to all his movements and activities in October. He started biking again, so running isn’t half of his workouts anymore.

As Shelley and I get ready to retire (she’s retiring in May 2025), she has decided to replace the house’s windows, siding, and roof. This will save us money during retirement.  

Shelley remains occupied with her seven grandchildren, ranging in age from six months to eight years old. Three reside in Fayetteville, Arkansas, while the remaining four reside in Brentwood, Tennessee. Despite our shared residence, we often find ourselves separated for extended periods. To facilitate this, Shelley has adopted a remote work arrangement, commuting to one of the locations every six weeks. I eagerly anticipate retirement and the prospect of embarking on these joint excursions.

During the Christmas season, Shelley was in Tennessee, leaving me to occupy the house in solitude. While this may appear somber, I found solace in the tranquility and introspection it afforded me. The commencement of my new chapter in life is scheduled for February 2, 2024. May this transition be both fulfilling and enduring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...