I’ve had issues with Erik’s Bike Shop before, about 20 years ago, when I bought my son his first bike. Despite my hopes for improvement, their customer service and overall experience have not improved. I’m stuck with a $3,400 bike that I’ve only ridden 11 days this year and 8 weeks in the shop.
Last year, I wanted to replace my 8-year-old e-bike (Surly Long Haul Trucker with a Bionx D-500 kit). That bike has over 10,000 miles on it with only minor repairs. I also have a Juiced Bike RipCurrent S and a RAD Mission. Being a heavier rider, I have always been cautious about the spoke strength. On June 7, 2022, I went to Erik’s Bike Shop in Eagan, where they had a sale. There, I found the Diamondback Current, which was on sale for $3,450.
Before buying the bicycle, I discussed my concerns with the sales staff about my size, strength, and fear of spoke breakage. I explained that I prioritized spoke strength two decades ago due to spoke breakage and wanted a more robust wheel. In my last five bicycles, I had no spoke problems, except for a custom wheel that caused issues. I had a rebuilt wheel made, and it didn’t have problems. The salesman assured me that a properly tensioned wheel wouldn’t be an issue. I trusted his words and bought the bicycle.
As my Bionx bicycle remained in excellent working condition, I limited my riding on the Diamondback to less than 300 miles during the first year. Subsequently, in April 2023, I began riding my Diamondback more often. Approximately 400 miles into my increased riding, I noticed a spoke breaking at the hub. Due to my absence on vacation, I had the surgery, but I was only able to use two of my seven planned vacation days. Upon returning home, I rode approximately another 100 miles, and the spoke broke again. This incident occurred during four commutes to work on paved trails, without encountering any rough terrain. Consequently, I took the bicycle to Eric’s repair shop, and over a span of 24 days, I received it back.
I rode my bike less than 150 miles and had another spoke break. I returned it to Erik’s Bike Shop on June 20, expressing disappointment about the spokes and suggesting a stronger wheel. They promised to call me with options on June 23. I reiterated my concerns and was told they would install stronger spokes and have the bike ready by July 5. I hoped to have it for my trip starting on the 8th. On July 5, I was informed that the rim can handle oversized spokes and suggested a new wheel (over $225 fixed). I left on vacation and wanted to take the bike, but they said it should be ready by July 12, not before I leave.
Frustrated, I called them on July 16 and was informed they expected to have it ready on July 24. The bike has been in the shop for over two months, and I've only ridden it 11 days this year.
I’m not sure how Erik’s Bike Shop staff stay in business. I have found that my bike knowledge may exceed theirs, and when I expressed concerns based on my understanding, they dismissed them.
No comments:
Post a Comment