As we approach the conclusion of the year, it is imperative to reflect on the unprecedented events that have transpired. The COVID-19 pandemic, which has claimed the lives of millions worldwide, stands as the deadliest disease outbreak in American history, surpassing the 1918 Spanish flu.
The Spanish Flu, previously the deadliest disease event in the United States, resulted in approximately 675,000 fatalities over two years. As we approach two full years into the COVID-19 pandemic, the global death toll has reached an alarming 5,452,900 deaths.
In conclusion, it has been an unprecedented year. While we anticipated the conclusion of the pandemic, the emergence of Omicron has cast a shadow over our hopes. I trust that you have weathered the challenges of the past year and are taking precautions to safeguard your well-being as we navigate the future.
Let us shift our focus to a different topic: politics. This year has been marked by a series of events that have left me deeply concerned. Some individuals express skepticism toward traditional news media, favoring platforms like Twitter and Facebook as their primary sources of information. This has led to strained relationships with former acquaintances who have distanced themselves from me due to my unwavering belief in the prevailing narrative.
The erosion of respect and the prevalence of misinformation have been disheartening. The events of 2021 have left a lasting impact on my perception of the world. For instance, the Daily Show’s Jordan Klepper series provides a glimpse into the absurdity of certain political positions. While some may dismiss these as mere entertainment, I find it difficult to reconcile the reality with the content presented.
During a public outing, I conducted a test to assess individuals’ knowledge of popular culture. I posed questions such as, “Can you name the Avengers?” and typically received four to six correct responses without hesitation. Subsequently, I inquired, “How many presidents can you name?” Surprisingly, not one of the individuals under 35 could name more presidents than Avengers. I even asked a colleague if they supported Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, or Barack Obama as President. Two of the seven individuals provided answers. One individual expressed admiration for Richard Nixon, while the other two individuals were not American citizens and therefore should not have been considered for the presidency. I further tested their knowledge of state capitals by asking them to name Minnesota's capital. One individual was unable to identify the capital of Minnesota. This encounter occurred while I was waiting in line at Target.
I am struggling to maintain faith in the general intelligence levels I encounter. Alternatively, am I now responsible for keeping up with current trends and staying informed about today’s events, such as those on Facebook? How can I effectively respond to these challenges? Furthermore, I have encountered individuals who defend storming the Capitol as a form of free speech. Where will this trend lead?
Additionally, I have received criticism for getting vaccinated and consuming unknown and unproven medicine. While they indulge in unhealthy snacks like Cheetos, Taco Bell, and Mountain Dew, I am left questioning the ingredients in these products. As my grandfather once wisely stated, it is impossible to control stupidity.
Well, those were two depressing discussion points. What could be a positive discussion?
Having discontinued Zwift, I have transitioned to Rouvy for my indoor cycling sessions. Rouvy offers a wider variety of routes and a more relaxed atmosphere than Zwift. Cycling is an excellent low-impact aerobic exercise that can significantly enhance an individual’s health and fitness. It serves as a valuable form of exercise that can be seamlessly integrated into daily routines as a mode of transportation, an everyday activity, or a competitive sport. Cycling enjoys widespread popularity due to its accessibility and suitability for a diverse range of fitness levels.
On average, I rode approximately 5 times per week, with distances ranging from 6 to 20 miles per ride. I connected my activities to Strava, and a sample ride can be viewed here. Regrettably, most of my Strava activities are not publicly accessible, so the general public cannot view all my rides. I acknowledge that the regular workouts are challenging, but I have noticed an improvement in my overall well-being. I am optimistic about continuing this journey into the year 2020. Over the next two weeks, I will incorporate additional exercise into my routine.
Recently, a large tree fell, narrowly missing our house. The incident occurred earlier this week during a severe storm with winds reaching 50 MPH. Consequently, I will refrain from cutting wood tomorrow due to the forecasted temperatures, which are expected to drop to -6°F as a high and -20°F as a low.
I am eager to resume my photography endeavors. My work hours have decreased significantly over the past three months to approximately 48 hours per week, down from the 60+ hours I had been working in recent years. I am actively seeking ways to achieve a more balanced work-life balance, particularly as I approach the end of my two-year retirement timeline. While I remain hopeful about retiring, the ongoing pandemic and associated stress make it uncertain.
I will conclude this message without further digressions. I extend my best wishes for your well-being and safety. We will undoubtedly overcome this challenging period. Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment