Outdoor riding in 2021 is drawing to a close soon. The mornings are now in the low 30s, and the afternoons are in the high 40s to low 50s. The afternoon rides would be great, but the mornings are a bit too chilly for me. So, I’ve moved my Surly Long Haul Trucker to the basement and set it up on the Wahoo Kickr. I've been using Zwift for the past two years, but I will try Rouvy this fall and see if I switch things up.
Since I haven’t been able to work out for the past few days, I’ve been busy with yardwork. It’s just how it is in Minnesota in the fall, especially when I live in a heavily wooded area.
I did get out one day for some fall photos. For years, I’ve been so impressed by friends who post bird pictures in their natural habitat. I finally took my second bird photo in seven years this weekend, and I’m still trying to get it right. The first photo is from 2017, and the second is from this past weekend. I’ll keep practicing!
I was going through some old posts on Friday and noticed I hadn’t shared some sad news. Very few people knew I had a grandson who was born with some medical challenges. He was my only grandchild, and he needed care throughout his life. Sadly, he passed away on June 30, 2021. It was such an unexpected loss, I have included the obituary below and the funeral video (not sure how long the video is, but it is posted in the same link). The obituary reads:
Jacob Londell Williams, 20, passed away peacefully at Sanford Hospital, on June 30th, with his Father by his side. His bright, beautiful soul came into our lives on November 8, 2000 and the next 20 years were magical for anyone that knew him or spent time with him. Despite battling countless health issues his entire life, he was the happiest, kindest, sweetest, most positive humans. He always made sure you smiled along with him. He always did what he could to make you laugh. If you were sad he made sure you felt loved. His contagiously positive personality will be missed by everyone. He is survived by his Father, Topher Williams, Fargo. Grandparents, Sue and Brad Koch, Fargo and Londell Pease, Apple Valley MN. Mother, Alysia (Scott) Rufsvold, Jamestown. Brother Logan Wilson, Jamestown. And countless cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends who will all miss him so dearly.
My son, Christopher, and his mom, Susan, know Jacob best. They’ve been through a lot together, and it’s really affected them. Sadly, I’ve also had to face a lot of loss in my life. I remember when I was in third grade, a classmate passed away. Then, in seventh grade, a friend took their own life. Later, a friend collapsed in my high school yard, and just a few days later, my little nephew, who was only two, passed away. Those were the first of many challenging experiences I wish I hadn’t had. It’s never easy, but I think it’s easier to handle if you know what I mean.
As a father, albeit estranged, I’m still worried about my son, who’s feeling down but managing to keep it together. Since we haven’t talked much, I’m not sure I can really help him. All I can do is remind him, day by day, as they say.
Every day is a new beginning. Take a deep breath, smile, and start again.


No comments:
Post a Comment