Thursday, October 21, 2021

Pain from bicycle crash

Following the discomfort experienced from my bicycle accident, I sought medical attention at a clinic for a diagnosis. Regrettably, upon my arrival, my general practitioner informed me that I had arrived late for:

  • My annual checkup should have been in July 2020—a little late. (Done)
  • Needed the Flu Vaccine (Done)
  • Was supposed to have shingle vaccine (Passed on it)
  • Needed the Pneumococcal vaccine (Done)
  • Blood work - since 2017, I have battled anemia
  • Late for the echocardiogram (was supposed to be September 2020, scheduled)
  • Upper GI due to the hernia and pain (passed on this one)

I spotted a growth on my right arm and left calf; they were concerned and scheduled a dermatologist appointment within 2 weeks. Those usually take months. I have had these growths for over five years, and they occasionally ooze and bleed. I was never concerned, as they did not grow.

The most disheartening aspect is that I weigh 311 pounds fully clothed and wearing shoes. I still doubt I can deceive myself and claim to weigh under 300 pounds without being naked. I must shed at least 75 pounds. They recommended that I explore medical options, but I declined and resolved to exert greater effort. My primary concerns revolve around stress and work-related issues. Last year, I lost a significant amount of vacation time and worked nearly 3,000 hours. To clarify, this equates to an average of 8.2 hours per day, every day of the year—leaving me with no time for personal pursuits. I anticipate being eligible for retirement within three years. My most pressing concern is securing health insurance.

The political situation has turned my job into a real challenge. It feels like we’re stuck in a binary world—either super left or super right. I often find myself in the middle, and unfortunately, I’m getting blamed by both sides for the problems. The overall mood is really low, even worse than it was after the leadership change six years ago. I’m thinking I’ll retire in about 28 months, but I need to keep going to make that happen.

I deviated from the topic and returned to the clinic visit. Numerous other points were emphasized, but little was said about the reason for my visit. I suspect I have concussion symptoms, and my groin and bruises are pretty painful. There are also hard, painful lumps on my thighs. Despite my efforts, they did not address the areas that were most relevant to me.

On October 17th, Shelley’s birthday arrived. Her older daughter and two grandchildren flew in for three days from Nashabull (as the five-year-old refers to it—Nashville). This was one of the most thoughtful gifts she could have received on her birthday weekend. I was not even going to attempt to surpass their visit. 

However, I went overboard and purchased Kicr Core for her. I have one and love it in the winter with Zwift or Rouvy. For quite some time, she has expressed difficulty building good biking leg strength in the winter. Let's see if the level of use over the winter justifies the purchase.


Since she was occupied, I could get out over the weekend and take some fall photos; below is a small sample.



To enhance my well-being, I must prioritize self-care and allocate time away from work responsibilities. While this may seem counterintuitive, it is crucial for maintaining productivity and preventing burnout. However, I have observed that colleagues often anticipate completing tasks before they can commence their own work. Consequently, delays can have cascading effects. Nevertheless, it is essential to recognize that individual efforts alone cannot address all challenges.


Over the past two weekends, I have intentionally reduced my work hours on Saturday and Sunday, averaging 3-5 hours per day. This adjustment represents a positive step towards achieving a healthier work-life balance.


Tomorrow, I intend to commute to work by bicycle. The morning temperature forecast calls for a low of 37 degrees Fahrenheit and a high of 45 degrees Fahrenheit. While the cold weather may be uncomfortable, it can also provide a refreshing contrast to the usual indoor environment.


Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...