Tuesday, September 22, 2020

It's my birthday?

This past week marked my 58th day on Earth. The day prior, I embarked on a day trip with Shelley to the northern shore, where we engaged in hiking and photography. The weather conditions were favorable, enabling us to hike for several hours.

Due to COVID-19 concerns, we departed from our residence at 6:00 AM and arrived at our destination by 10:00 AM. As we commenced our return journey, we made several stops at hiking locations and returned home just before 9:00 PM. I intend to share some photographs in due course.

The only unusual aspect of that trip was Shelley’s father calling a day early to extend his birthday wishes. My son called on my birthday to inquire about my plans and preferences. However, he refrained from expressing his birthday greetings. My eldest son sent a text message, asking if it was my birthday, with the intention of ensuring that I received my birthday wishes.

What is peculiar is that, aside from the instances mentioned above, no other individuals, including my parents, sister, girlfriend’s daughters, or any individuals I would consider family, contacted me to extend their birthday greetings. In the past, they would consistently make calls or send texts to convey their birthday wishes.

How do I perceive this outcome? Is everyone preoccupied with COVID-19 and has forgotten about it? I am uncertain of the reason behind their absence, as they did not wish to celebrate another year of my existence. Was this a mere coincidence, or have I lost touch with those who constitute my immediate family?

Either way, it is what it is, and I need to move on without letting it bother me, but it does.

In addition to the aforementioned, anemia has had a detrimental impact on my dental health. I have developed a strong inclination to chew ice, which has become a recurring issue. As the condition worsens, I find myself losing focus and avoiding the activity altogether.

Having been diagnosed with anemia for three years, I have undergone three dental implants due to the damage caused by the condition. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic prevented me from scheduling the necessary laboratory tests. In June 2017, my hemoglobin level was recorded at 6.8 g/dL, leading to a hospital stay. Through three infusions, my hemoglobin level increased to 15.3 by August. In August 2018, it further rose to 12.1 g/dL, with another infusion increasing it to 15.1 g/dL. In March 2019, my hemoglobin level was 12.2 g/dL, and another infusion increased it to 16.2 g/dL.

However, in December 2019, I began experiencing discomfort. Due to a change in my insurance provider, I was only able to schedule laboratory tests after establishing a relationship with the new care provider under the new insurance program. After several months, I finally had the tests scheduled for late March 2020. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the cancellation of the appointment. It was not until July 2020 that I was able to reschedule, and my hemoglobin level was recorded at 11.8 g/dL. Despite my medical history, the physician required a higher hemoglobin level for another infusion. Instead, they advised me to take iron tablets for several months, which unfortunately caused significant stomach pain.

In late August, I contacted my preferred provider due to persistent stomach pain and was informed that they had no available appointments until January 2021. Consequently, I anticipate that my hemoglobin level will continue to decline until I am hospitalized again. I suspect that the iron tablets may be causing stomach bleeding, which could potentially exacerbate the situation. Ultimately, I believe that the cost of treating the known issue will be significantly higher due to the insurance coverage.

Despite the challenges I am facing, I am optimistic that COVID-19 has not resulted in any fatalities among my acquaintances. I am cautious, as I am uncertain whether it is simply a matter of time before someone I care about or I myself falls victim to the virus. The absence of family members wishing me a happy birthday has also contributed to my ability to cope with the situation.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...