In the household where I partake in the Christmas spirit, the atmosphere is generally positive, with most individuals experiencing happiness and some experiencing temporary contentment. I refer to “contentment” as a state of peaceful happiness. While we are all aware that the demanding and competitive nature of our society will inevitably resurface, it is essential to remember that we are all still alive and well.
During the Christmas season, I experienced a profound emotional moment. I learned of the untimely passing of Garret Zwickey, a 28-year-old individual, a few weeks ago. It is disheartening to witness the pain that families endure in such circumstances, and it is a reality that affects more than one family each year. For the past six years, I have personally known of an individual under the age of 30 whose parents will soon bid farewell to their loved ones.
As I have aged, the words of John Lennon, uttered with unwavering courage, have become increasingly difficult for me to accept. My fear has intensified each year, leading me to engage in a profound debate about the nature of fear. To address this topic, we must transcend the confines of our immediate concerns and consider the broader context of planetary evolution. We must perceive ourselves as formidable beings with the potential to reach our fullest potential, rather than as fragile individuals struggling to cope with unfavorable situations.
The primary aspect of fear is its inherent biological nature. The experience of fear originates from the amygdala, a prominent structure located in the ancient reptilian region of the brain. However, I do not intend to delve into the intricacies of our biological structure, as this domain is best left to the esteemed scientists and anthropologists of our time. Instead, I pose the question: “Is fear an essential component of our existence?”
Fear is an integral part of our lives. Whenever we venture beyond our comfort zones or make significant changes to our habits and beliefs, fear manifests itself as a formidable force, urging us to remain steadfast in our current state. And like a well-trained dog, we swiftly learn to heed this warning. We become apprehensive about our creative capacity for evolution and transformation, and we come to perceive such endeavors as perilous. Fear serves as a constant reminder of our vulnerability to our superior and more enlightened selves.
Reflect on the numerous instances when you have harbored a fervent desire to make a meaningful impact on your life and fulfill your life’s purpose. Has fear catalyzed your endeavors? Has fear encouraged you to pursue your aspirations, asserting that you possess the creativity, empowerment, and intelligence necessary to achieve your goals? When was the last time you encountered such a supportive response to fear? Naturally, the answer is “Never.”
Fear likely expressed a similar sentiment to you: “You are incapable of doing that! What will others think? Furthermore, you are too incompetent. Recall all the previous instances of your failure? You do not wish to reveal your perceived inadequacy, do you?” In essence, fear suggests that the consequences will be severe. To ensure that these negative messages are effectively conveyed, this self-doubt is accompanied by distressing physical sensations of anxiety and worry, which are closely related to fear.
Fear primarily functions as an inhibitor. It is not a supportive entity. It prevents you from experiencing highly negative experiences, whether they are physical, mental, or emotional. Fear serves as a counterbalance to consciousness and evolution. When was the last time you made a sound decision based on fear? When was the last time you experienced clarity when acting from a foundation of fear? And at the most fundamental level, when was the last time you felt beautiful while experiencing fear? Have you observed that love is absent when feeling fear?
Therefore, let us abandon the notion that fear is an indispensable companion. Let us acknowledge it for what it truly is: an antiquated, obsolete, primitive aspect of our biology and consciousness. It compels us to engage in conflict akin to animals. It impairs our ability to maintain control and leads to irrational behavior. It diminishes our intelligence and effectiveness. Ultimately, it suppresses consciousness, love, and intelligence altogether. Fear is fundamentally incompatible with our higher selves.
Nevertheless, I experience fear in the face of the loss of a loved one, additional tragic events on Earth, and numerous other concerns. I recognize the necessity of learning to manage these fears, but how can I do so when I am continually reminded of dear friends passing away prematurely? Rest in peace, Garret and Cammi, Gary, Brent, and Shannon remain steadfast in their support for one another and cherish the memories they share. May I find the strength to release some of my fears, as they have a profound influence on our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment