If you have read this blog, you may have encountered my customary late November post detailing my Christmas wish list. I typically enumerate several items, and each year, I would receive one or two of them. However, one week before Christmas, I would revise the post and eliminate the items. Some individuals perceive this as unkind, while others are unaware of their presence. Conversely, some believe that I should disclose my desires. Nevertheless, why does Christmas predominantly revolve around the concept of gifts?
It is more convenient to envision celebrating Christmas in the contemporary world when considering the act of giving gifts. However, have you ever contemplated the underlying reason for the tradition of gift-giving during Christmas? In certain aspects, this tradition is deeply rooted in history, while in others, it represents a relatively recent development.
In Christianity, giving gifts at Christmas is linked to the gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh given to the Christ child by the three wise Magi. Originally celebrated on January 6th, the Feast of Epiphany, giving gifts became more associated with Christmas. The period from December 25th to January 6th is now known as the “twelve days of Christmas.”
The ancient Church observed Christmas as a holy day rather than celebrating it. Gift-giving to loved ones has become popular in the modern era, with various countries and people incorporating it into their holidays. By the time the Americas were settled, exchanging gifts at Christmas was a common practice. The early Dutch settlers introduced St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, to the New World, whereas the early French and English colonists were more likely to give gifts at New Year’s or Epiphany.
A common Christmas tradition emerged, where gifts were exchanged on Christmas. In the 19th century, O. Henry, Charles Dickens, and Thomas Nast helped shape our modern concepts of Santa Claus and other holiday traditions.
Today, we give gifts for various reasons. Some celebrate the Christian holy day, while others express care for family and friends. Sometimes, giving gifts becomes mechanical and a chore. In such cases, it’s worth reflecting on the true meaning of Christmas.
Recently, I’ve seen the real meaning of Christmas in my girlfriend’s daughter’s actions. She works hard to create meaningful gifts. I hope the recipients understand their specialness. It’s not just about putting down and wrapping them. I’m not sure she’ll ever know how my heart expanded when I saw her create the gift, not just purchase and wrap it. If I’m present when they open the gifts, I’ll be happy, as I believe she’s captured the true meaning of Christmas!
The purpose of disclosing one’s Christmas wishes is not solely centered around material gifts, but rather on fostering love and camaraderie. When a gift is genuinely heartfelt, it encapsulates the essence of Christmas.
I find myself increasingly concerned about this tradition. Last year, I refrained from adding any items to the “list” as I desired Christmas to be a celebration of emotional connections rather than material possessions. This year, I have already acquired three items that I desired (the cost was worth it to obtain them). I intend to add a few more items to the list, but I would rather prioritize engaging in human activities.
- In February, a friend who was abused called me scared. When I picked her up with blood on her face, I took her to a battered women’s shelter. I didn’t know what else to do. I saw her a few weeks ago; she’s still emotionally down but doing better. If you want to purchase a gift for me, donate to http://www.bwlap.org/donations.
- People should smile as they help an elderly neighbor shovel the driveway.
- I would like a Banjo Brothers Large Frame Pack
- There is a new photo-editing device that seems really cool. I am hesitant because it is high-priced, but it looks cool.
- It would be cool to have a bike taillight that can be mounted on the frame rather than the seat post, like the Cyrgolite Hotrod 50 USB at Amazon or REI or the NiteRider Sentinel 40 Rear Bike Light.
- This item is unusual, especially for some, but listing it is odd due to the author. Some background may help. Seeing that the departed one is truly happy and better off than you can help one get through a divorce. It stings, but understanding reality isn’t my weakness. My ex-wife seems happier, and I’m glad. She married a talented nature photographer who wrote a great book. It’s better than Tony Northrop and Scott Kelby’s books. The book can be found here!
- I need a better bike mirror. This one works nicely. I had this one, but my son needed one, so I gave it to him. Which is best?
- And last? Nice bike socks like these... I would need XL as they run small, and I am size 11.5.
I hope someone dear to me finally gets their wish. Relationship problems have been tough. It’s hard when a long-term relationship ends and someone coldly turns away. I wish that person finds peace and understanding when there’s no answer.
I’d be happiest if you were kind to everyone you meet and yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment