Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mitral, aorta and bears, oh my

On November 1, I wrote about my health theories. I had chest pains, initially thought stress-related. I’d had them for over a decade, so I consulted a cardiac specialist. An EKG was slightly abnormal but normal overall. An echocardiogram revealed a dilated aorta (4.3 cm), which is typically 4.0 cm, but was concerning at 4.5 cm. I also have a slight mitral valve leak. This explains my recent frustration.


Options are numerous. Stress, lack of relaxation, and 80 extra pounds contribute to issues. I’m taking the second option: retesting in six months after I've made health improvements. These include:

  • Learn to relax—People know this is not possible for me. I have picked up some things using the Foursquare technique, but it doesn't help.
  • Regular exercise: 5-6 days for at least 30 minutes each. I need to improve at getting about twice per week. I have worked 70-plus-hour weeks, which is no excuse, but I have little time left to work out.
  • Correction of minor lipoprotein abnormalities, e.g., small LDL and lipoprotein(a).
  • Reduce carbohydrate intake by eliminating all wheat, cornstarch, and sugar products. This is an enormously effective way to correct small LDL, low HDL, and high triglycerides.   
  • Normalize vitamin D levels to counteract inflammatory responses in the aortic wall. I aim for a blood 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of 60-70 ng/ml.
  • Vitamin C supplementation--Collagen cross-linking for aortic wall strength requires adequate vitamin C.
  • Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil-Fish oil corrects multiple causes of plaque, especially lipoproteins that derive from excessive triglycerides.

I’ve been biking for three days now, each for 40 minutes. It’s a significant improvement since I only found time once a week since July. I monitor my heart rate as a precaution. I still struggle to reduce my Type A habits. They make it sound like a life-or-death situation.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


wildknits
Londell, I am glad you went in and were thoroughly examined when you had the chest pain. It is important to look at how lifestyle plays a role in health. I had heard the information regarding carbs and low HDL from another person who is in cardiac rehab. It might be the explanation for my not-so-great cholesterol numbers (I am an admitted carb-a-holic).  Here is to hoping you can reduce work stress - and hours worked and achieve more balance in your life. Great start on the workouts!  By the way, when you refer to Foursquare, is it the breathing method for relaxation? I have taught that to many others and find it quite effective myself (so much so that when I describe how to do it, I begin to relax).  Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 4:22:51 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...