Saturday, November 1, 2014

When enough is enough

In the past, I experienced a period of optimal health. During this time, I possessed an abundance of energy, effortlessly navigating daily tasks while maintaining a state of perpetual well-being. Sadness was an unfamiliar emotion, replaced by a sense of contentment. However, this idyllic state was abruptly disrupted by the pervasive influence of advertisements promoting energy drinks as a solution for America’s fatigued populace. Consequently, I found myself feeling a sense of superiority, believing that I was spared from the hardships faced by others.


Regrettably, this perception has been shattered. I now find myself grappling with the challenges of the cold and flu season, a period that previously brought me no discomfort. Furthermore, I have witnessed a growing trend of germophobia among my peers, a phenomenon that I had previously observed in myself.


The introduction of two significant factors into my life has had a profound impact on my well-being. Firstly, the allure of sugar has become irresistible, leading to a constant craving for its consumption. Secondly, the complexities of career advancement and the accompanying emotional turmoil have significantly affected my physical health.


Reflecting on my past, I recall consistently completing three-hour marathons without fatigue or illness. I compare this era with the present to understand the changes. My job was simple: come in, do a task, and go home. I could always stay caught up and carry the work home. I never monitored people or had a job at risk. I had little responsibility for anything but myself. I ate very little processed sugar and never had a craving.


I’ve been denying this for a while, but I recently heard disturbing new information about the effects of sugar. Experts have scientific evidence that sugar is causing many Americans to become overweight and sick. This makes sense because one in seven Americans has metabolic syndrome, which also impacts sleep. I have major sleep issues, and one in three Americans is obese. The rate of diabetes is skyrocketing, and cardiovascular disease is America’s number one killer. Many theories suggest that all of these maladies can be traced back to sugar.


Today, I’m on a mission to avoid foods with added sugar. It’ll be tough, but I want to eliminate anything with sweeteners, such as table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave, or fruit juice. I’ll also avoid anything made with fake sugar or sugar alcohol. Unless the sweetness comes from its natural source (e.g., a piece of fruit), I’ll avoid it.


Sugar is everywhere: tortillas, sausages, chicken broth, salad dressing, cold cuts, crackers, mayonnaise, bacon, bread, and even baby food. Why do they add so much sugar? It’s to make these items more palatable, increase shelf life, and reduce the cost of packaged food. It’s all about maximizing profit.


I’ve noticed the benefits of avoiding added sugar for a year. My girlfriend, who couldn’t run before, now competes in biathlons. Removing sugar from my diet and reducing unnecessary salt will be challenging, but I’m convinced it’ll improve my health. My girlfriend’s positive experience with sugar-free eating motivates me. I believe sugar is the culprit, and I’m willing to try, though it may take up to six months to see the full benefits.


The longer I abstain from sugar, the more energetic and improved I anticipate feeling. While I will eventually succumb to sugar cravings, my objective is to comprehend the situation without deviating significantly from my goals. Consequently, I have established a rule, rather than an allowance, to alleviate guilt when consuming sugar. I am permitted one actual sugar-containing dessert per month. I anticipate that in a few months, I will observe a shift in my palate, gradually diminishing my enjoyment of the monthly “treat.”


I recall a time when I was primarily sugar-free and presented with my favorite dessert, COCONUT CREAM PIE. I vividly remember not only not savoring my slice of pie as much as I did when I indulged in sugar, but also not finishing it at all. Currently, I not only complete the dessert but also experience a strong desire for the entire pie, potentially consuming a second if it were available. My girlfriend has informed me that consuming excessive sugar can cause dental discomfort and induce headaches. Additionally, it can lead to a rapid heart rate and a general sense of unease. She has expressed that she now recognizes sugar as the culprit behind her negative feelings, but due to its pervasive presence, she had previously overlooked it.


I intend to eliminate one of the six-letter words that have become ingrained in my vocabulary. I anticipate that my body will express its gratitude for this change. If my prediction holds true, I will no longer be concerned about experiencing energy depletion. Furthermore, during flu season, I will no longer feel compelled to seek refuge under the bed. I believe I will experience a reduction in depression. Consequently, I will contract fewer illnesses and recover more swiftly. If my assumptions prove accurate, this will be a significant achievement for everyone.


I have been reading the book “Salt, Sugar, and Fat.” I have realized that I am responsible for my health, but food processing companies do not make it an easy task. It is all part of the shareholders’ greed to take any measures necessary to increase their profits. To achieve this, they must stimulate my desire for more. It is a mind-altering substance, and it is legal.



Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


wildknits
That is a great goal, but it's also a tough one when working in a stressful career. Good for you for recognizing the link and stepping towards eliminating one of the six-letter words from your life.  And thanks for being willing to share it with the rest of the blogosphere.  Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 9:03:20 PM CST
Mike W.
I agree with Lisa, a book that I am reading (Fitness Confidential) is big on NSNG, no sugar, no grains. Good luck with it, I may be joining you shortly :-)  Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 9:34:48 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...