Since July, I have experienced ankle pain that has progressively worsened, making it challenging to walk at times. I initially felt soreness after the Colorado to Minnesota bicycle ride and followed it with Grandma’s Marathon three weeks later. While I felt fine for a few weeks after Grandma’s Marathon, the pain gradually returned. I should have anticipated some issues, but I delayed seeking medical attention for three months.
Upon examination by an orthopedic surgeon, I was diagnosed with severe peroneal tendinitis. The surgeon recommended physical therapy as the treatment. The physical therapist identified tightness in my ankle. The typical range of motion for plantar extension is 40 degrees, while I have 18 degrees. The average range of motion for dorsal extension is 20 degrees, and I have 4 degrees. Additionally, I have significant inversion at 32 degrees, which is considered normal; however, my radial extension is only 6 degrees, which is ideal at 20 degrees.
Physical therapy involves challenging exercises to enhance mobility and alleviate pain.
After three sessions, I have experienced some improvement, but the pain persists. I have gained a deeper understanding of the significance of maintaining muscle elasticity throughout the body. Consequently, I have temporarily postponed my stretching routine. I had forgotten that there are multiple reasons to enhance muscular elasticity or flexibility. Regular stretching routines offer numerous benefits, including improved range of motion, enhanced athletic capabilities, stress reduction, and better sleep. This aligns with my past experiences, as sleep has been a recurring issue for years.
To address this, I intend to establish a comprehensive full-body stretch routine every other day and monitor its impact on my sleep.
My primary focus will be on improving flexibility and range of motion to enhance muscle elasticity through regular flexibility training exercises. Muscle elasticity refers to a muscle’s ability to stretch into a specific shape. As the human body ages, it naturally loses some of its inherent muscular elasticity, making flexibility training an invaluable addition to any exercise regimen at any age. Surprisingly, I had overlooked this fundamental concept.
Despite the initial discomfort and the fact that my movements may appear awkward for those familiar with the concept, I am determined to persevere.
Any suggestions for a routine?
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment