Sunday, September 28, 2014

Another Month, another life taken

Throughout the morning, I found myself overcome with grief for an individual I had only briefly known. A young man of sixteen had tragically decided that life was not worth continuing and took his own life. This incident brings the total number of individuals I knew personally who have passed away this year to eight. Additionally, there are four individuals I knew of but had no personal connection with who have also taken their own lives.


While I may never fully comprehend the reasons behind such actions, I occasionally question whether I do. I possess an inherent resilience that enables me to perceive situations and approach challenging times in a different way. I have always understood that life is a product of our own choices and actions.


I often encounter a co-worker who’s ill and dissatisfied with his work. He feels undervalued and wants to resign, but he was surprised when I admitted that I have despised my job for the past six months. It’s hard to wake up and come to work, and it doesn’t satisfy me. He said no one would know this, since I always seem joyful and productive.


I endeavored to explain that life is a construct of our own making. I emphasized that I have experienced a profound dislike for running during numerous marathons and longer races I have completed. During my bicycle journey from Denver, Colorado, to Minneapolis, Minnesota, there were instances when I genuinely disliked biking. However, much like life, there are ebbs and flows, and it is our attitude that shapes us during challenging times. Indeed, there is joy in overcoming the difficulties that often arise in our daily lives.


I’m at my lowest point. I know I won’t quit and smile through it, but many acquaintances have found it easier to resign. I may never understand this, and I’m grateful for that. May you never quit and enjoy your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...