Thursday, August 7, 2014

I don't understand!

Over the past six months, I have been informed of the passing of five men over the age of fifty (two of whom I was personally acquainted). All of these individuals were suspected of having committed suicide. It is particularly concerning that they all held prestigious positions, raised successful children, and appeared to have few significant concerns in their lives. Despite these circumstances, they ultimately decided that they had reached a point of sufficiency. The concept of “enough” remains elusive, and my attempts to seek an explanation have only deepened my confusion.


Suicide, the eighth leading cause of death in the US, results in over 30,000 deaths annually. This is likely an underestimate due to social stigma, financial factors, and other reasons. Statistics consistently show a strong association between suicide and age, gender, and race. While women attempt suicide more frequently than men, men are 4 times more likely to die from it. In 1996, white males accounted for 73% of all suicides in the US. Overall, the US suicide rate is predominantly white, male, and older than 50.


Depression and suicide are strongly linked. Should I have noticed the signs? They worked hard and considered work their life. They may have lost touch with reality and become depressed. I wish I had intervened. I misjudged. Those who followed the rules and succeeded were emotionally unwell. They believed that doing the right thing would prevent bad things from happening.


Reflecting on my own life experiences, I find myself pondering whether I possess any inherent advantages in navigating life's unpredictable nature. Having endured economic hardships for decades, weathered a divorce, and faced numerous challenges, including the loss of close friends at various stages of my life, I question whether I have developed a unique emotional resilience.


I am aware of my ability to cope with poverty, solitude, the rejection of a child, and the inevitability of death. However, I acknowledge that not all of my friends shared these experiences.


This raises the question of why baby boomers are often perceived as inherently suicidal. Are they simply self-centered and childish, prone to extreme reactions when their desires are thwarted? Alternatively, are they human beings whose lives have been adversely affected by the actions of the Wall Street elite, facilitated by the media’s focus on austerity measures?


Furthermore, I find it concerning that politicians prioritize gun control and birth control over providing adequate mental health training. While I may be oversimplifying the situation, after witnessing the fifth assumed suicide of a close friend, I am compelled to seek answers, even if it may be an impossible quest.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...