It is astonishing to learn that Robin Williams, the most joyful and humorous individual of my childhood, whom I held in high regard and cherished watching in all his endeavors, reportedly discovered it more effortless to avoid the passage of time. The reasons behind this revelation remain shrouded in mystery, much like the subject of my previous post.
Conversely, I observe the other end of the spectrum. While commuting to work on my bicycle, I frequently encounter an elderly gentleman walking. He appears to be in his nineties. Despite his age, he maintains a brisk pace, albeit with a step length of approximately three inches. Each morning, as I pass him, he exudes a sense of contentment. This is likely the sole source of joy in his life, and he derives immense pleasure from his daily walk.
I get more confused.
I recently noticed another generational issue. My generation valued being aware of others’ time, but now people in their 20s prioritize living in the moment, disregarding plans and tomorrow. Oddly, they don’t mind making others wait and canceling plans while enjoying their time. It seems selfish. Perhaps I’m becoming that grumpy old man no one likes. There’s little respect left.
Adult life has changed. Teachers, pediatricians, and therapists see children who aren’t afraid of their parents, not their power, position, or ability to enforce standards.
Instead, there’s a feeble nod of parental acquiescence and an earnest acknowledgment of “how hard it is to be a kid these days.” I’ve seen children call their parents names and tell them how stupid they are, and I’ve heard adolescents use expletives.
Parents are afraid of their kids, and kids are fearful of their parents! What happened to the phrases our parents used to discipline us? “Keep your shirt on.” “On the double.” “What do you think we are?” “Because I said so.” “Look it up in the dictionary.” “Don’t bother me unless you’re bleeding.” Parents once commanded respect.
Today’s generation of children is the most closely observed, monitored, cherished, and scheduled in history. They are also the most praised. Families are smaller, and there are fewer children upon whom parents can bestow their attention. Many parents do not anticipate their children contributing significantly to household chores, but they do expect them to excel academically and professionally.
Could this be the answer I am seeking? We never fully experience childhood, so we do not desire to become older adults. Could it be that someone has stolen their childhood, thereby stealing their adulthood?
No comments:
Post a Comment