Thursday, November 28, 2013

It's Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is here again, and people are saying we should give thanks. But what exactly are we giving thanks for?


While most Americans associate the Pilgrims with the first Thanksgiving in America, some argue that other groups in the New World should be recognized as the first. For instance, Texas has a marker that reads, “Feast of the First Thanksgiving—1541.” However, it’s uncertain if this marker is accurate or if it’s simply a marketing ploy.


The precise date of the first Thanksgiving, as commonly recognized, remains unknown. Most early documents suggest that it took place between September 21 and November 9, 1621. During this period, the Plymouth Pilgrims shared a meal with the Wampanoag Indians, marking the first Thanksgiving. Interestingly, there are reports that the First Thanksgiving lasted for three days.


Edward Winslow, a purported participant in the first Thanksgiving (1621), described the feast as comprising corn, barley, fowl, wild turkeys and waterfowl, and venison, with 52 pilgrims present. The first Thanksgiving reportedly included John Alden, William Bradford, Priscilla Mullins, and Miles Standish. Some accounts suggest that approximately 50 Native Americans attended the first Thanksgiving, including Massasoit and Squanto, the Pilgrims’ translator.


While some believe the first Thanksgiving was a secular event that wasn’t repeated, a Calvinist Thanksgiving documented in 1623 didn’t involve sharing food with the Native Americans. The first National Thanksgiving celebration was declared in 1775 by the Continental Congress to commemorate the victory at Saratoga during the American Revolution, but it wasn’t an annual event.


In 1863, two national days of Thanksgiving were declared: one celebrated the Union victory at the Battle of Gettysburg, and the other marked the beginning of the Thanksgiving holiday we still observe today. After gathering these fragmented facts from the internet, I still don’t have the answer I’m looking for: What is Thanksgiving? Is it more of a commercialized event? Is it the day we all celebrate, as we can buy what we don’t need at a discount the day after?


Thanksgiving, a widely celebrated holiday, is a time for families to gather, indulge in a feast, watch football, and express gratitude for their blessings. Homes are adorned with symbols like horns of plenty and dried corn, while schoolchildren across America reenact the holiday by dressing as pilgrims or Wampanoag Indians and sharing a meal. These traditions foster a sense of family and national identity, reminding us to express gratitude on a yearly basis. However, as with many other American holidays, many commonly held beliefs about Thanksgiving’s origins and celebrations are rooted in myth rather than fact. Let’s delve into the truth behind our Thanksgiving festivities.


As an afterthought, I can’t help but wonder if the Indian movement that believes the North Dakota Sioux should change their name will soon organize a protest involving little 3rd graders dressing up as Indians for a reenactment. While I’m grateful for many things, I can’t help but feel distressed by others.


For me, Thanksgiving is a time for reflection and remorse. It was on Thanksgiving 1994 that my son’s accident occurred on my father’s farm. Tragically, my 5-year-old son lost his right hand in the accident. I often relive that day and wonder where I went wrong. The anniversary of the accident consumes me.


Then, in 2001, just before Thanksgiving, my wife told me she was in love and moving to Colorado to be with my adopted daughter’s father. If I annul the adoption, I could gain full custody of my son. I agreed, but I regret being put in a position that has caused me significant psychological distress. This is now the second time that Thanksgiving has brought me such pain, and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to enjoy anything in November again.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...