Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The demise of trail running?

Over the past few years, I have observed a decline in the trail race environment. Having not participated in a trail race (only volunteered) for over four years, my observations and conclusions may require validation. I have noticed an increase in participants to the point where it is challenging to establish a connection with the runners. Trail races are increasingly becoming business ventures that prioritize volunteers over a volunteer group that prioritizes non-profit objectives and aims for minimal profit. This focus on numbers significantly alters the overall experience of a race.


At the aid station, directing the stampede of runners through the station takes precedence over personal assistance. This experience as a participant and volunteer is disheartening.


Many runners need more experience and lower expectations for trail races. One runner yelled at the director when he got lost. Of the 250 runners, ten got lost. Most found it easy because they were familiar with the process. This runner refused to accept responsibility and blamed others for their mistake.


Before a trail race, I would study the map, learn the area, and be cautious near questionable turns. Angry lost runners don’t understand course marking, and or someone removes markers. Prepared runners can overcome issues.


At Surf the Murph, someone got lost. I asked if they were looking at the markers, but they said they were enjoying the scenery. They got mad when directed to look for them, as someone else was the reason they got lost. Do we need to mark flags on the ground, trees, and sky in case they look up?


A few runners have asked me where the restroom was while I was at the primitive station on the Superior Hiking Trail. And get this, one runner didn’t bring a water bottle and then used about 6-8 cups at the station! Back in the day, trail runners were all about being environmentally friendly, but now, I’m seeing more who toss their trash wherever they please and act a bit rude. 


Maybe it’s because they’re paying $100-$200 to run a race, which puts a lot of pressure on them. I’m not trying to knock all runners, but I’m definitely noticing more self-centered runners. Most of them are fun, caring, and knowledgeable, but the worst patient can really take up a lot of time and leave a lasting impression.


In a heated Facebook exchange, I noticed a spring 2014 ultramarathon scheduled on the same day as another longstanding one. Some questioned why not another weekend and why compete with the other race. I suggested, “Why not the same day, and maybe a third would be nice?”  


Why, you may wonder? If there were more competition and race options, prices would likely decrease, the number of runners at each event would decrease, and the overall atmosphere would become more friendly. Additionally, different people have different preferences when it comes to running. While the trail races I’ve participated in in the past were great, the organization and mindset of the group didn’t align with mine. That doesn’t mean they weren’t great people who organized great races; I prefer other options, such as McDonald’s, Subway, Wendy’s, and Burger King. They all serve the same food, but we have our own preferences and choose one over the other. In the same way, athletic events are the same. The variety of events held on the same weekend is fantastic.


Ironically, the person most upset about this particular race option competition ran a local race on the same day as another ultra in the state. However, there were no comments or complaints about having two longer trail races on the same day in that situation.


I perceive it as a supply-and-demand scenario. Currently, I participate in fewer trail races because I need to assess the value proposition of the high prices and limited options available. If there were seven races scheduled on the same day, it would foster better competition in terms of pricing and services. However, this would inevitably lead to some races being unable to compete. Nevertheless, this is the nature of the market, similar to the situation when a coffee shop opens up right across from the neighborhood coffee shop. In America, we have the right to this kind of competition, which is known as competition.


I recall when Stillwater, Minneapolis, and Fargo all had Spring Marathons, and everyone feared Grandma’s Marathon’s demise. Now, I believe it could benefit from fewer runners. I’ve run and finished the race every year since 1985. I’ve seen it grow, and the enjoyment has decreased as it became a large race. I return only for the streak, but I prefer marathons with fewer than 500 runners, like the 100-mile race with 20 runners. It was small, we knew everyone, and running an aid station was enjoyable. Aid stations are becoming less satisfying, and I’m reconsidering my future involvement. After all, a hobby should bring satisfaction, and my last two volunteer efforts have been more work and burden than satisfaction. 


Maybe I should start running again, so I can only hang out with people who are at my pace and avoid the “bad” elements I have come to dislike about trail races lately.


All you quiet dreamers, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ
I keep rewriting and not posting the same thing - it's "dilettantes, addicts, and hucksters" that are ruining things. The sad thing is that each will scream at you that you just don't get it.  Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 10:54:38 AM CDT

Jordan Hanlon
Although my trail/ultra running career is relatively short (since 2009), I've noticed a dramatic change, and I'd have to agree that many of the changes that have come with the growing popularity have been negative. In 2010, I ran my first 100-mile Zumbro with 26 other runners. The packet pickup consisted of sitting around the campfire talking, rather than listening to some of the other runners, with whom I all got to know quite well over the next few days. I'm glad that many more people get to experience running trails and ultras, but the popularity comes with a price. Good post and hopefully the intimacy of trails/ultra will not be lost.   Friday, November 1, 2013 at 8:51:47 AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...